Thursday, August 4, 2011

Back To School

Y'all it may not feel it outside, but Summer vacation is almost over.  IT'S BACK TO SCHOOL for a lot of kids in the next week or so for some.  We have open house next week and Katie is SO excited to meet her new teacher Mrs. G.  Katie hates that a couple of her good friends are not in her class, but we know that one of Katie's best friends, E, will be in her classroom.  YAY!  E's mommy and I are so glad that they got in the same class.  It's a little hard for me to know that my little girl is getting older and no longer a baby.  She prefers to have her ponytail up on the side, in a barrette or pulled back with a headband.  It's all about Peace, Love, Hearts, Rainbows and Unicorns.  LOL! 

In this post, I'd like to share a few things with you regarding Back to School.  Enjoy!

A Circle of Friends by unknown

We've joined together as classmates
as the new year begins...
A year full of learning
while we become friends.
We'll share and be kind
as we work and play.
And our friendship will grow
with each passing day.



I'm not good at making things to celebrate "Back to School" events, but the blogging world has some really cute ideas. 
  • Laura featured "Shindig Parties To Go" - Apple Oreo Pops
  • The Tomkat Studio has some really cute free printable - Back to School Lunchbox Love Notes.  I found some sweet Lunchbox Love Notes for Kids from Hobby Lobby and thought it will be a sweet touch for my child's lunch.  Plus, I am hoping it will encourage her to read because right now, she's burned out when it comes to reading. 


  • Crafty Noodle shows a sweet craft treat for your child's new teacher.  You'll have to check it out.
  • Katie and I have been reading a sweet book "Princess Posey and the First Grade Parade" by Stephanie Greene.  We put it down for a while, but I hope we will be able to finish it before school starts.  By the way, it's Katie that is reading it to me. 


Also, don't forget . . .

Tax Free Weekend begins
Friday, August 5-7

Cute Story
We've had quite a few small thunderstorms early this morning, leaving it fairly dark outside.  As I was putting away clean clothes, I noticed Colton in Katie's bed, all covered up with sheets and blankets and being very quiet.  He even had his favorite blanky in his arms as I was putting away Katie's clothes.  "Night, night, mom."  he said letting me know that he was in the room because the only light on in her room was her side table lamp.  Katie wasn't in the room.  In fact, I heard the bathroom door shut before I headed down the hallway.  I asked Colton if he was sleepy.  "I go night, night."  he said again.  Then I asked if his sister told him that he had better stay in bed and be perfectly still.  He nodded his head yes.  LOL! I told him to have a good night and left to put up me and Doug's clothes.  While I was in my room, Katie came out of the bathroom and I could hear her ask Colton if he stayed in bed.  LOL! 
I caught the kids watching "Baby Einstein's Baby Mozart" in Colton's room.  This is one of Colton's favorite movies.  He calls it his "Blah" movie because one of the puppets (dinosaur) sticks it's tongue out and says "blah." 

I'm probably not doing it right, but I've been backing off playing pretend to both Katie and Colton.  I did it in hopes that they would bond and find their own way of play.  Sure they fight - a LOT, but to see them play house together makes my heart smile.  Of course, Katie doesn't understand why I don't play with her much anymore and how can you explain bonding between a sister and brother.  I did break down last night and we had game night after supper dishes were washed.  I told Katie that I would play two games with them.  I'm trying to get her to teach Colton how to do things like play the game "Let's Go Fish"  and "Don't Break The Ice".  Last night was good and fun for them both. 

Katie and Colton plan to have one more slumber party together before school starts.  While we were painting Katie's room, I didn't want her to sleep in her room filled with paint fumes.  So, she slept in Colton's room for a few nights.  They absolutely loved it and I don't think they got much sleep those nights either.  Ever since then, she's been begging us to let her and Colton have another slumber party.  If everything goes okay, I told her that they could have the slumber party tonight.  Katie is so excited.  
Mirya

No comments: