Tuesday, January 29, 2013

New Goals for Year - January in Review

I have several goals this new year, but I would like to focus on God and His Word. One other thing is try something new at least once a month. Whether it is a new recipe, craft, sport, type of food, etc.  Life is too short, I think it would be good for me to try new experiences and tastes.

As far as studying God's word, I always do real well until after 7 or 8 months. Life overloads and I become a slacker the rest of the year. Thankfully God is forgiving and He always gives me another chance. This time around it came to mind, how about keeping a journal. After reading my devotion or verses, write down my thoughts and what I feel God might be telling me. Remember the Bible is God's Living Word, ever changing.

This month has been a great start to the new year.  I've tried two different crafts for the kids, one new recipe and my journal is coming right along.  I would like to go back, type in the verses and do a few tweaks.

The kid crafts were fun to make and my kiddos just loved playing with them.  I made homemade play  dough with 4 different colors.  Do you remember THIS POST?

Colton got a Doggie Doo game from Santa this past year.  It lasted about 3 days before the putty that came with it began to get old.  Soon the putty wouldn't make it all the way through the dog.  I found a flubber recipe on Pinterest.  Yes, I'm one of very few that actually make the things that I repin on Pinterest.  LOL!  Honestly, I've found some pretty good recipes and crafts from there.  Anyway, I tried the recipe yesterday.  This recipe makes a lot.  Please note that it doesn't work well in the Doggie Doo. I think we are going to have to ditch the dog.  Just sayin' . . .  The instructions call for white glue and add food coloring, but it stains.  I used the Elmer's Glitter Glue.

Source: omsi.edu via Mirya on Pinterest

CLICK HERE  for step by step tutorial on how to make flubber from OMSI.  It also makes for a great Science experiment for young children.

Homemade Flubber
Ingredients:
3 cups of very warm water
2 cups of Elmer's Glitter Glue
2 tsp 20 Mule Team Borax
White Vinegar (for cleaning)

(Do each step right down to the "T" and you'll have no problems. )

The Steps
In a large container, combine and mix:
1 1/2 cups of very warm water
2 cups of glue

Make sure this combination is completely mixed.

In a small container, combine and mix:
1 1/3 cups of very warm water
2 level tsp of 20 Mule Team Borax, (adults need to do this).

Make sure the Borax is completely dissolved. Be sure to read all warnings for Borax.  Keep out of the reach of children.  

Combine the Glue and Borax mixtures: 
Mix well using your hands until all the liquid is absorbed.  You may need to squish, mix or break up the flubber to get it fully combined.  Store the Flubber in an air-tight container at room temperature.  For best results, measure precisely and mix well as noted above.

If the Flubber gets in the carpet or clothing, vinegar will easily dissolve the Flubber.  It will keep for up to 2 weeks.  This recipe will make enough of Flubber for 6 children.

 photo Katie_vignette_zps10da6c9a.jpg 

Our little girl was baptized this past Sunday.  Most of our family was able to show up and support her.  We appreciate it so much to have our family to be there and hold us up.  It meant a lot to us.  I wished you could have seen the video of her confirmation.  It was absolutely precious!  I couldn't help it, but cry.  A few friends at church told me that we should be able to get a copy by the middle of this week.  I'm really hoping that I'll be able to put it on YouTube.  After church, everyone came over for dinner.  We had two crockpots full of Homemade Vegetable Soup and Chili.  My MIL brought her very good Mexican cornbread.  For dessert, I wanted to try a new recipe.  I needed something that would be simple and quick to make because I didn't have the time to make a very elaborate dessert.  I found this very simple recipe from {ta-da!} Pinterest.

Apple Dump Cake




ingredients:
2 cans apple pie filling
2 Tbsp Cinnamon
1 box yellow cake
2 sticks of butter
1 cup of pecans, chopped
Whipped cream or ice cream (to serve on top)

Dump 2 cans of pie filling in the bottom of 9x13" cake dish.  I used a glass dish.  Sprinkle cinnamon over apples.  Crumble dry cake mix over apple mixture.  Sprinkle pecans over the cake mix.  Slice each stick of butter into 12 equal pieces and place on top. Cook at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until golden brown.  I would recommend putting a sheet of aluminum foil over the top because the pecans will burn.

Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.



Mirya

1 comment:

The Thorsrud Family said...

We seem to relate on a lot of levels right now, reading your posts. :) I hear ya on your bible, and how it is so much the living word. I was getting bored (GASP!, I know) and didn't know WHERE to read anymore, and just jumping around. I didn't want to do a year study, I just didn't know what to do. So I just opened, and started in the beginning and and just READING. I'm on page 300 something and it has been so REFRESHING! Im enjoying this journey so much, and it rekindled my fire for God again. Also we are going to make Gack too! Just have to get a sec! Looks like fun!!!!!!