Sunday, January 6, 2013

Chicken Noodle Soup

We have not completely steered away from the surrounding sickness.  Katie had a terrible sore throat and cough a few days before New Year Day.  It seemed to be worse right before she went to bed for the night.  I figured she was having a lot of drainage.  It wasn't long before I was sharing her pain with the sinus headaches and sore throat.  Ugh!  No fun at all.  School went back in session January 2nd and she was not feeling any better.  The night before, she was up crying, coughing and complaining about her throat.  Me not feeling good either could not think at 12 o'clock at night as to what else to give her.  I felt so bad for her.  She kept saying that it hurts so bad to swallow.  I decided to keep her out of school on Wednesday and made an appointment for both Katie and myself with our family doctor.  We were automatically tested for Strep.  Thankfully, it came back negative.  I just knew we had a sinus infection because my face was throbbing and I could feel drainage in my ear.  Dr. L gave us a thorough examination and told me that I wouldn't like the results.  Every time he says that it means we have a cold or something very minor.  Ugh!  Sure enough, he told me that we just have a really bad cold.  I was glad that it wasn't anything serious, but we felt terrible for it to be just a COLD.  Come on!  Well, the only thing we can do is load up on Advil and he called me a prescription for Mucinex D.  He said it was better than the Mucus Relief that you find over the counter.  I won't go into detail,  I believe it's working.  We went home and began eating our Southern Style Chicken Noodle Soup and drinking lots of orange juice.  Katie went back to school the next day and I have to say, she had a couple of rough days of school.  Poor baby!  Thankfully, they really didn't do anything in class because Mrs. M said she could tell that Katie was a little out of it.  This morning is the first morning Katie hasn't had a sore throat for days.  I'm so glad.  I told Doug maybe that is a good sign for me.  Maybe I'll have another day or two and this mess will be gone.  The bad thing is Doug and Colt are now coughing and sneezing a little.

On a lighter note, I took Katie Friday to get measured for her recital costume.  This year's theme will be "La Bayadere," which means female dancer from India. We got to see pictures of all the costumes for the performance.  They are so pretty and Katie loves hers again this year.


Photobucket 
Katie's recital costume

You'll need to mark on your calendar our Spring Recital is May 25th at WSCC Auditorium.  This is Katie's fourth year of ballet, which means that I've been to four recitals and I've never been disappointed.  I never knew that I would like ballet or theatrical arts, but it ROCKS!  Before Christmas break, I got to view Katie's ballet class with a little exercise dance.  Wow!  I can see the improvement in Katie's dancing this year.  Maybe it's the age, but she seems to want to do exactly what Mrs. A wants her to do to make her happy.  Yes, she is finally LISTENING.  I signed Katie up for ballet at this very little school when she was three years old to instill the skill of listening.  Minus last year because we were in gymnastics, it has taken her this long to finally get it.  Ahh!  FINALLY.  She did a lovely dance and she nailed all of the positions.  I believe our little ballerina has taken a growth spurt as well.  During practice this week, she was complaining about her tights riding up.  Well, it appears that the tights, I just bought this past August, are too short.  Here we go!  I was so hoping that the growth spurts would wait until closer to May.  I'm absolutely clothes poor when it comes to my kids.  They will grow one way and I have to buy more.  In no time, they are growing another way and I have to go back to the store.  Doug and I were talking last night about how we can't afford to buy underwear for ourselves.  LOL! Just joking, but it's nearly the truth.

On a side note for all of you proud relatives, Katie made another straights A's on her report card.  She is doing great in school.  There have been no complaints, but I'm hoping to work on her bossiness.  I suppose it's my fault.  Last year, I did tell her that if she noticed someone was acting like a bully to someone else or if she saw a problem, to tell her teacher.  The past couple of times, while I've been at school (helping or visiting), I noticed she likes to keep Mrs. M informed on all transactions and activities within the class.  Ugh!  This last time, she informed Mrs. M that one of the boys had one too many donuts.  Us, parents, were passing out the food and one of the boys ended up with one too many donuts.  He did tell his mom about having too many.  He had already touched it and I saw no problem with him eating it, if he wanted it.  Of course, he was all smiles.  My little monitor was a little late on hearing the conversation and alerted Mrs. M immediately.  I called her down and apologized to Mrs. M and to the boy's mother.  "She can be a little bossy," I told them.  Hopefully, she will grow out of it.

Tomorrow, our favorite team will face off Notre Dame at the 2013 BCS Championship in Miami, FL.  We are so excited for them.  They have worked so hard and have come a long way for another opportunity to win their 15th BCS Championship.  They are an awesome team and I wish them loads of luck (not luck of the Irish).  ;) Every since it was announced that Alabama would be playing against Notre Dame, the ads and cartoons have been cracking me up.
Photobucket
Posted The Birmingham News; cartoonist, J.D. Crowe



Photobucket 
Posted by ESPN
  Photobucket
Photobucket

Of course, I've seen Notre Dame's bashing on Bama.  For instance, "Catholics vs. Cousins" and calling Bama "Mobile Homers."  I have only one question.  Is that all you've got?  Honey, I've heard these ignorant name calling all my life.  There is also the interview that I saw on our local news.  One of reporters were interviewing a ND player (coming off the plane in Florida) and he said and I quote "it's like Rudy versus Forrest Gump."  I REALLY hope our players heard this comment.  Maybe it would be just enough to get them fired up.  If Notre Dame players and fans really think Alabamians are like Forrest Gump then all I can say on game day is "RUN, FORREST, RUN!!!"  Personally, I didn't marry my cousin nor do I live in a mobile home.   One thing about Alabamians, they are grateful for what they have and who they are.   Better LUCK next time on the so-called insults.  :)  

Meanwhile, we are ready for the BIG game.  Doug needed to take some time off and I'm glad he decided to take Tuesday off.  I knew he would want to stay up and watch the game tomorrow night.  He would have been a zombie the next morning, going into work.  On game day, Wholesale Foods (a grocery/restaurant) will be cooking Irish Stew and showing the game.  I think it's an awesome idea and if we lived a little closer, I would suggest us getting an order of it.  

ROLL TIDE!   

  Mirya

2 comments:

Laura said...

Katie, glad you are feeling better and congrats on straight A's!!

Roll freakin' Tide!!

Laura said...

P.S. Are you having problems posting pics on your blog? I can' post any.