Thursday, July 19, 2012

Gluten Free Recipes

I'm still adjusting the way I cook according to our new lifestyle.   My new goal is to limit the amount of breads and pasta I eat.  Grains and Fiber is very good for you, but if you are like me and LOVE bread - it can be a BAD thing.  I've been doing my homework and found out people that are living a gluten free life, substitute breads and pasta for squash, zucchini and mushrooms.  Needless to say, I've been in the Kitchen for the past few days.  Doug's been a great guinea pig.  Honestly, I think he likes being a guinea pig.  LOL!  I've made Portabella mushroom and zucchini pizzas.

Portabella Pizza
I love mushrooms, so this dish was a delight for me.  Take a mushroom.  Remove the stem.  Trim a little on the back, so it won't roll around on the cookie sheet.  Spoon a little Mario Batali Tomato Basil Pasta sauce inside the mushroom. Place turkey pepperoni and sprinkle with shredded Mozzarella cheese.  Broil for approximately 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and nicely browned.  Let it cool before serving.

Zucchini Pizza
I've come to a conclusion that zucchini is good in just about anything.  Take a zucchini, cut off the ends and cut it down lengthwise.  Trim a little on the back, so it won't roll around on the cookie sheet.  Scrape out the seeds with a spoon.  Spoon a little Mario Batali Tomato Basil Pasta sauce.  Place turkey pepperoni and sprinkle with shredded Mozzarella cheese.  Broil for approximately 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and nicely browned.  Let it cool before serving.

Tonight, I made Turkey Lasagna and it was so delicious!  This recipe definitely makes the cut.  I wanted the dish to be very low carb, gluten free and low calorie.  You can absolutely adjust the ingredients to fit your own tastebuds.  I love ricotta cheese in lasagna, so I'm sure it would taste wonderful in this dish.  I didn't have a recipe to go by.  I basically used what I had in my fridge.  

Turkey Lasagna 

 Ingredients: 
1 lb. Ground Turkey
24 oz. jar Mario Batali Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce
2 large yellow squash
Grated Parmesan Cheese
2 cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Directions: 
Spray 9x13" casserole dish with olive oil Pam cooking spray. Set aside.

Cook and drain turkey in a skillet. Add pasta sauce to turkey in skillet. Stir and heat until well mixed. 

Thinly slice squash. Place layer of squash slices in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top of squash. Spoon a thin layer of meat sauce and spread out. Place a layer of Mozzarella cheese. Repeat the layers of squash, Parmesan, meat sauce and more Mozzarella cheese.

Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Bake for 30 minutes. Cool for 1 minute before serving.

Serves 6

Note: I like to add a little more than just 2 cups of Mozzarella cheese. I love cheese! This dish can be made ahead of time and baked at a later time.

Very simple to prepare, gluten free and delicious!

If you try any of these recipes that I've given you tonight, I would love to hear what you did to make it your own.

Enjoy!

  Mirya

No comments: