Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Photo Plaques and Ribbon Roses

Photo Plaque photo DSC_0237_zps94c71f25.jpg 
I found this unique fun gift at {ta-da} Pinterest. There are so many sites on Pinterest to show you how to do this simple and fun craft.  I wanted an excuse to make this beauty and my sister's birthday happened to be coming up. Last Thanksgiving, she asked me to take a family photo of her newly expanded family. I think the photo turned out so good!  I just love my job, bringing families closer together {smiling}.  

 photo DSC_0243_zpse08937b4.jpg
Closer look

I didn't bling or jazz it up because that is not my sister's personality.  

Items Needed
Wooden plaque from craft/hobby store
Mod Podge (I used matte)
Black and White photo (printed by inkjet printer on plain computer paper)
Wide wire ribbon (ribbon rosette)
Medium size ribbon (used to hang the plaque)
Staple gun and staples
Hot glue gun
Black acrylic paint 
Paint brush 
Fine sandpaper
Black felt (cut to the size of plaque)
  1. Sand down any rough areas of the wooden plaque. Wipe down the dust with damp cloth. 
  2. Paint the wood black.  You may want to put a couple of coats.  Allow it to dry thoroughly. 
  3. I measured across the flat surface to figure out the center of the plaque.  Place the printed photo the way you want it.  I went ahead and played around to see how I wanted everything placed.  I wanted simple. 
  4. Once the photo is placed where you want it, lightly brush a thin coat of Mod Podge.  If you put too thick of a coat or brush in one area for too long, the ink from photo will run.  I played around with a couple of test photos to get a feel as to what I was doing. Allow the photo to dry thoroughly. 
  5. Now that the photo is protected, you can apply a thicker coat of Mod Podge all over the plaque in order to seal it and give it a nice painted look and feel.  Allow the sealer to dry thoroughly. 
  6. It's time to staple your ribbon to the back of the plaque.  I measured on each side to make the ribbon balanced with the plaque.  Depending on what you are going to do with your plaque, decides the length of your ribbon.  Just play with it.  Staple the ribbon.  This is the time, if you want to write a message or write your name and date.  
  7. Cut the black felt to fit the back of the plaque.  Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge with a brush. The felt hides all your messy staple work.  Carefully, place the felt down onto the plaque.  Allow it to dry thoroughly.  
  8. On the front side, hot glue the ribbon rose and leaf where you want it.  

Source: blog.hgtv.com via Mirya on Pinterest



Click on the source link "HGTV" to access the tutorial in making wire ribbon rosettes.  There are several sites on Pinterest with different ways to make ribbon rosettes.  This is the site that I learned from.  I have to say it was the first time I have ever made a ribbon rose.  It took me several tries to get it just right.  Later, I found a site that recommended tack sewing on the back of the rose.


Colton Story
I have to tell you this story.  With the constant weather change around here, we all have been waking up trying to get rid of the frogs in our throat every morning.  Colton is no different.  The other day, as I'm taking my eldest child to school, Colton pipes up in the middle of me and Katie's conversation and put's in his two cents worth.  Not exactly sure what he just said, I ask him to repeat what he said.  He tells me again.  Katie and I looked at each other and cracked up laughing.  Here is what he said:

Colton: "Mom, I need you to get my brain out of my head."
Me: "What? "
Colton: "Get my brain out of my head!"
Me: "But why do you want your brain out of your head?"
Colton: "Because it is making me sick.  See!  {cough, cough} I've got a cough because of it.  You need to get it out now!"

Later that night, I told Doug the story because I thought it was so creative.  For him to actually think that his brain was making him sick and it needed to come out.  What an imagination!  Well, Colton heard the conversation between me and his daddy.  So he chimes in.  "Yeah, mom.  You can just cut right here (pointing to the top of his head) and pull my brains out."  I was amazed my little man just said that.  So funny!  

  Mirya

No comments: