Saturday, November 17, 2012

Giving Thanks and Recipes

Thanksgiving is 5 days away. Are you ready? What is your favorite dish that you make for this special day? I braved the crowds at the grocery store to gather all of my ingredients today. I'm responsible for taking Deviled Eggs, Sweet Potato Casserole and Pumpkin Pie. I've never made the Sweet Potato Casserole before, but I'm using my mother-in-laws recipe. It won't be as good as she makes it, but I'll try.

My Pumpkin Pie 
Ingredients:
1 (8oz.) package 1/3 fat cream cheese, softened
2 cups canned pumpkin, mashed
1 cup sugar 1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup skim or 1% milk
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger, optional
2 pre-made deep dish pie crust
Fat Free Whipped Topping

 Preheat oven 350 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese with a hand mixer. Add the pumping and beat until combined. Add the sugar and salt and beat until combined. Add the eggs, milk and melted butter and beat until combined. Finally, add the vanilla, cinnamon and ginger, if using, and beat until incorporated. Set aside.

Pour filling into the pre-made pie crust and bake for 80 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.  Place the pie on a wire rack and cool to room temperature.

Top each slice of pie with a dollop of whipped topping.


Peggy's Sweet Potato Casserole
Potato mixture:
3 cups mashed sweet potato
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
Topping: 
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 cup pecans (ground)
1/3 cup melted butter (for topping)

Mixture: 
Mix well, mashed sweet potatoes, sugar, salt, eggs, butter, milk and vanilla.  Pour in a baking dish.

Topping: 
Mix brown sugar, flour, pecans and butter.  Sprinkle on top of potato mixture and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

It is SOOOO Good!

Of course, we will have to go back on a diet come Friday after Thanksgiving.  LOL!  Our family prefers to have the traditional Thanksgiving meal, which includes but not limited to the following: Deep Fried Turkey (yes, we are professionals), Spiral Honey Ham, Chicken 'n Dressing, Pies of all kinds, and casseroles galore!  Doug and I will just have to remember "pace yourself."  LOL!

I just haven't had the time to list my 25 Gratitudes for the month, so I will list them all right here.
I'm grateful for . . . 

1. God's love and grace.
2. My Salvation.
3. My health.
4. My loving husband and partner.
5. My beautiful children.
6. Katie asked Jesus to come into her heart.
7. Love of my Parents.
8. Love of my Family.
9. Love of my Friends.
10. Freedom of my country.
11. My conservative state.
12. Being raised in the South.
13. Freedoms being upheld by the service of others. Thank You!
14. Having the opportunity to know those that have passed away.
15. Both of my parents still living.
16. My husband's parents still living.
17. Being included my children's lives.
18. Trying new recipes and fun craft ideas because of Pinterest. ;)
19. Staying in contact with family and friends through Google/Blogger.
20. My husband's job.
21. CHOCOLATE!
22. Mommy-Daughter Dates.
23. Mommy-Son Dates.
24. Mommy-Daddy Dates.
25. Thanksgiving Meal with Family.

~Amen~

I would like to wish you a special Thanksgiving this year and many more years to come.

Psalm 100
Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the lands! Serve the Lord with gladness! Come into God's presence with singing! Know that the Lord is God! It is he that made us, and we are his; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! 

Give thanks to him, bless his name! For the Lord is good; his steadfast love endures for ever, 
and his faithfulness to all generations. 


  Mirya

No comments: