Saturday, November 21, 2009

Congratulations Doug!


As most of you know, Doug recently received his BS degree through DeVry last month. We all got together today to celebrate with him. We were hoping to make it a surprise party, but I had to let the cat out of the bag because he was asking way too many questions yesterday. I had to pull out my punch bowl, picnic basket and other items from storage to take to the building with us. The punch bowl was for the great tasting "Sundrop Punch," I made for the party. The picnic basket was to help transport the breakable items, I needed to decorate the room. I also had a bunch of miscellaneous items that I thought we would need to serve food and just make our occasion more special.

At first, Doug didn't like the idea of us throwing him a graduation party. He thought it was silly and embarrassing. Once he got to the Boy Scout Building and began mingling with our guests, he changed his mind and was enjoying himself.

If you live in the Cullman County/City area and need a place to host a party, I highly recommend the Vinemont Boy Scout Building. This is the second party that I've hosted there and I get lots of compliments on the location. Most people just aren't aware that it's there because it is nestled back away from the highway and I can see where people don't notice it. It's located just south of Vinemont High School on Patton Drive. Patton Drive is right behind the dentist office off of Highway 31. The Boy Scout Building is a log cabin right beside the Vinemont Fire Department. Today, we had approximately 37-40 people attend tonight and there was way more room to spare. I love the rock fireplace, but it was still a little too warm to start it up tonight.

We had a great meal after it was blessed by Millard. We loaded up with good ol' Johnny's Barbeque pulled pork, DQ chicken fingers, potato salad, cole slaw, Maryann's baked beans (yummy), fruit tray, Sundrop punch, marble cake w/whipped icing, Peggy's Chex Mix, Shawn's sugarfree chocolate pudding (yummy). I'll tell you one thing, no one left there hungry that's for sure and we still had tons of leftovers.

After dinner, we settled down and watched Doug open his many gifts. Everyone hit it right on the head. If it wasn't University of Alabama stuff, it was Best Buy gift cards. He got a lot of nice things, thank you so much. He really does appreciate it!

June and I were watching Katie playing with the children (all boys) and she made the comment, "Nicholas had nothing but girls to play with (his age) and here poor Katie has nothing but boys to play with in the family". I told her that doesn't stop Katie at all. She can be a little miss priss with the girls and still turn on the tough and tumble with the boys. She was just thrilled to play with kids close to her age (Will-7, Ty-7, and Trey-5 (I think)). All four of them were thick as thieves. Trey and Katie would play more together, where Will and Ty would buddy up. I did think it was sweet how all four of them shared Trey's race car by taking turns, rolling it back and forth to each other. Katie was right there with them, "hey, roll it to me. It's my turn."

Everyone, including me, thought Colton did great while all of this was going on. None of us heard him whimper for 3 solid hours. We pretty much knew he was in a dream world. He had everyone's attention and was passed around like a sack of potatoes. Someone holding him and fussing over him is being in hog heaven. He eats it up!


Hope you enjoy the pictures. More pictures are posted on Facebook and my photosite.


Sundrop Punch Recipe
2 cans (46 oz.) Pineapple Juice,chilled
2 cans (12 oz.) Frozen Lemonade Concentrate
3 (2 liters) Sundrops, chilled

Mix Pineapple juice and lemonade; refrigerate or freeze. If frozen, set out of freezer for about 4 hours before serving time.

Pour into a large punch bowl, add Sundrop and stir gently to blend. Float thinly sliced lemon or orange on the top. Serve immediately.

Note: This recipe can be halved. I used Motts brandname for juice and Minutemaid Lemonade. Very good.

The Tide Keeps Rolling!
We've got another "ROLL TIDE" celebration tonight! Man, our tide has been rolling all over these teams this season. I'm so impressed and happy for them. They've worked so hard to get to where they are today.

Now, next weekend is THE GAME! Next Saturday is the most important game of the year for the whole state -

University of Alabama vs. Auburn University

This meet is the ultimate game of the season. Forget the SEC Championship and Tim Tebow. Forget the National Championship and Colt McCoy, this is the game that will matter to most Alabamians. It will be the most viewed and attended game of the season.

It's all about "bragging rights!"
ROLL TIDE!

On that note, Doug seems to think our most valuable player of the year, Mark Ingram, will place second with the Heisman Trophy. He feels Colt McCoy, Texas, will absolutely win the Heisman Trophy this year. What are your thoughts and predictions?

Mirya

2 comments:

The Keyes Family said...

Congrats to doug the graduate!!! Good job !! I can't wait till it's my turn. I'm so redy to be done with school, that has to be a nice feeling!

Laura said...

Fun, fun! Congrats, Doug!

I thought the Auburn game was Friday? I agree with Doug about Ingram. So sad, though. I would love to see him with that statue!!