Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Prayer, Food, Twilight and Father's . . . what else is there?

Prayer Request
My friend, D, that I've asked for prayer has gone through her 4th week of radiation treatments and have 2 more weeks to go. She started back on the Chemo therapy and the effects are beginning to wear on her. She said that soon after the treatments, doctors plan to take a biopsy of the tumor and from there will determine what course of action will follow. She's been receiving cards, calls and pictures from all of her friends and family. I think they've kept her going. Please continue to keep her in your prayers.

Great Recipes To Bookmark
During VBS, Katie and I made the workers cookies.  The only problem was that I couldn't find my new "Royal Icing" recipe right off the bat, in order to whip up some icing to put on the cookies.  I did eventually find the recipe sandwiched between several other "Mirya's Favorites" in my homemade cookbook.  I've gotten so dependent on my blog to grab a recipe that I need right away.  To my surprise, I still had my old Royal Icing recipe on here.  Ugh!  So, I deleted the old and am posting the new, this way I have easy access and now so do you.  Happy Eats!  

Royal Icing Recipe
from Martha Stewart Show, April 2006
Ingredients: (Makes 2 1/3 cups)
1 box (1 lb) confectioners' sugar
5 tablespoons meringue powder or 2 large egg whites

Directions:
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine sugar and meringue powder. Mixing on low speed, add a scant 1/2 cup water. For a thinner consistency, usually used for flooding, add more water. A Thicker consistency is generally used for outlining and adding details. Mix until icing holds a ribbonlike trail on the surface of the mixture for 5 seconds when you raise the paddle.

Mirya's notes: watch the additional water added, you can get a little carried away.
I add a little flavoring approximately 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla, almond or peppermint flavoring (which ever you prefer). Add to taste. Sometimes, I add a little more.

Twilight Saga
Okay, how many of you Twilight fans are getting excited about the new movie "Eclipse" coming out June 30th?  Yay!  I was hoping to revisit this book just to refresh my memory before the big premiere, but I've gotten somewhat involved with Nicholas Sparks, "The Last Song." 

With all the latest activities around the Mason household, I've only been able to read 5 chapters.  So far, it's a pretty good book.  I'll have to give you my review as soon as I'm finished.  Hold on because the way it's been around here, it may not be until next Fall. {LOL!}

Twilight Saga:Eclipse Movie Trailer

Father's Day Children's Crafts
My children are still too young to do really BIG crafts for daddy and their Paw-paws. Plus, I only have so many nerves left that I don't think I could survive the weekend, if we tried some of these bakes and crafts.  So, I think we are going to stick to more simple crafts. Katie has gotten good with her drawings.  I think they'll make the perfect gift. Saying that, I must pass along some great finds that I found, while searching for some creative ideas.
Is this not cute or what? It looks so simple as well. If you look closely, it's just a regular cupcake topped with dyed green coconut. The lawn mower is made from a Hershey's Nugget, M&M's for the wheels and engine and a black licorice lace as the handle. So cute! Of course, all the M&M's are held in place with small dabs of icing. For the recipe and further information, check it out at Disney FamilyFun website. Disney FamilyFun also has some cute printable "Dad Coupons" HERE along with some other cute ideas.

Martha Stewart.com posted instructions and diagram of how to make these cute paper shirt and tie cards/crafts. There are 8 positive ratings, stating the craft was easy and are their favorite. I haven't done this craft simply because I didn't have an 8x14" piece of decorative paper. It looks like fun and I hope to come back here this time next year for the kids.
Martha Stewart also has template retro designs available for these cool Father's Day Retro Labels.

For our little ones, you can find some great printables at DLTK's "Father's Day Activities" and some sweet bakes and crafts from Education.com. I hope you will share with me your plans or if you know of some great websites, celebrating Father's Day.

Kudos
I have to give a quick "KUDOS" to Google Blogger for all the positive changes for their customers. I've had lots of fun, play around with the the new layouts and ways to create my blog that says "ME". I encourage them to continue the great job. Saying this, the rumor mill is that Google Blogger are considering charging their customers for access to their blogs. I really hope that they will refrain from this decision because I love blogging, but might have to stop if it goes in that direction. :(

Mirya

No comments: