Sunday, March 27, 2011

Happy Birthday Colton!

Two years from today a happy spirited little boy came into our life. He has made our life and family complete. It was around 6AM this morning that God blessed us with our 8lb. 15 oz. baby Colton.

We all came together in celebration of this great event yesterday. I've been busy at work on my spare time, making most all the birthday decorations. I even tried by hand at making a 3D Choo-Choo Train. LOL! I've seen these 3D creations made from rice crispy candy on the show "Challenge" from the Food Network, but never thought I would be making one myself. It's been lots of fun creating all of these paper decorations and confections for my sweet baby.

I think Colton had a very nice birthday and received lots of nice presents. Everyone's gift was a hit with him or this momma :). Here are a few pictures from the event. Enjoy!
A full view of the party decorations



Colton's 3D Choo-Choo Train
You can see the dot garland real well at this angle 
Momma and her big boy
Colton did not like the fact of taking pictures.  All he wanted to do was PLAY!
I love Katie's express in this picture - Colton was eating a donut

My parents gave him the Lightening McQueen cap and the "Meme" movie came from my niece Whitney and her husband.  He loves "Meme" aka "Mickey Mouse".
Here's the BIG gift of the day.  He seems to really like his John Deere tractor.  It comes with a trailer that hooks in the back, but he needs to learn to drive the tractor first.  LOL!  Katie loved the fact that she could drive it as well.  I think Colton got a bigger kick watching Katie drive the tractor.


Colton laughing at Katie driving his tractor.  Our guests were laughing at Colton getting so tickled at Katie. You had to be here to enjoy the humor. 

Colton did not want to blow out the candles - AT ALL!

Rice Crispy Treats Recipe
3 T Butter
1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows or 4 cups miniature marshmallows
6 C Kellogg's Rice Krispies cereal

Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.

Mix in Kellogg's Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.

Spread the mixure using a buttered spatula or waxed paper evenly into a 13x9x2" pan coated with cooking spray. Cut into 2" squares when cool. Best if served the same day.

Tip on how to work with Rice Crispy Treats
* I find it best to keep your hands/fingers moist, while handling the candy. I keep a small bowl of water on my work center.
* The recipe suggest you put butter on your spatula, but I found that a little spread of Pam butter flavor cooking spray works just as well and not as messy.

Rice Crispy 3D Train
I made 2 batches of candy in order to make the train. Not having a template or instructions to go by, I did the following:
  • Measure diameter of the cake stand or desired flat surface, the train will be displayed on.  I used a round cake board to transfer our train from table to table.  It was 9" in diameter.    
  • You need to cut out a template from wax paper.  The body of the train will need to be the biggest piece.  Secondly, the engine piece (long part of the train).  Thirdly, the smoke stack. My train's body measured 5x5".  The engine piece measured 3x4" and smoke stack measured 1x2", making the total length of the train 9". 
  • Place the templates on top of the candy and begin cutting the shapes.  Again, rice crispy candy can be rather messy, so I had a glass of water handy.  Cut 2 body (5x5") shapes, dipping the knife as you go along.  Cut 2 engine pieces (3x4") and 1 smoke stack (1x2"). 
  • With icing I sandwiched the 2 body pieces together and the 2 engine pieces.  
  • Stand the body up on it side onto the cake board. Note: make sure the edge of the body is right on the edge of the board or the train won't fit.  
  • Meet the engine piece (up on it's side) with the body. 
  • Place the smoke stack up on top of the engine. 
  • It's time to for icing.  Normal Martha Stewart want-to-be's make their buttercream from scratch, but not this busy momma.  Betty Crocker helped me out in this area.  I was able to use just one container of buttercream flavor icing, with blue food coloring.  
  • Now, it's time to decorate.  I used gum drops for the windows; M&Ms for the lights; wafers for the roof; graham cracker bunnies; coconut grass and candy sprinkles for flowers. 
  • I created a puff of smoke with the word "Choo-Choo" on it; printed; cut and glued to a toothpick.  I thought it really added to the train. 






Mirya

No comments: