Friday, January 28, 2011

My Children

Raymonda
Mrs. W likes to switch up the Spring Galas between one big production and the individual groups. This year is big production year and this ballet will be based on the Russian performance "Raymonda". Still being new to the whole ballet world as a future Prima Ballerina's momma, I have to do research on these productions.

According to Ballet Encyclopedia, the synopsis goes as follows:

Act I: Raymonda, who is betrothed to Jean de Brienne, is celebrating her birthday. Jean, who is expected to arrive the next day, has send some presents in advance. One of these presents is an embroidered portrait of himself. First, however, Abderman arrives and tries to court Raymonda. Raymonda then dreams that Jean comes down from his portrait to dance with her, however, when she wakes up she finds that Abderman is there again to "renew his amorous proposals." Act II: The festivities continue, and Abderman asks Raymonda to dance. Then, he and his accomplices attempt to abduct her. However, at that moment Jean arrives with his brother, the King of Hungary. There is a duel and Abderman is killed. Act III: There is a feast at the castle to celebrate the marriage of the two lovers, and much dancing.

Katie and her class will have the honor of being the Spanish guests in the performance and I L-O-V-E their costumes.  Mrs. W has changed costume companies.  She measured all the girls for their costumes a few weeks ago and several of the girls (groups) have already received their costumes.  Katie's group hasn't received theirs yet, but I can't wait to see them.  Mrs. W has a board displayed inside the studio with pictures of costume examples.  Here's a sneak peek of Katie's Spanish costume:


School Girl
Eventhough, Katie seems to be practicing with me on how she will be when she's 16 and wanting to stretch her wings, we are still proud of how well she's doing in school.  Her reading level started at "A" and now Mrs M feels she is ready for level "D".  It's a little more challenging, but I know with lots of practice Katie will succeed.  She continues to bring home more sight words to add with the others.  She took a test the other day.  I call it a spelling test because it was her list of sight words, which happens to be color names (purple, black, white, yellow, etc.).  She didn't miss a one.  YAY! 

We were suppose to receive Katie's Progress Report the week we had so much snow.  Well, I still haven't received it.  I asked Mrs. M about it and she had to make a few changes, but for me not to worry about Katie.  She added that she's doing great. 

Sickness is going around school, so I've been holding my breath on that one.  What is it with kids being so excited to tell you about the kid pitching their cookies during lunchtime into a girlfriend's lunch box and onto another girl's new shoes?  Everyday I ask her "what happened at school today?" and for some reason or other, she never can remember.  Who knew that it took someone to throw up for Katie to remember what happened that day. 

Colton Update
Colton's growing by leaps and bounds.  He'll be 2 in a couple of short months and I can tell it.  He's been wearing 24 month outfits and pants for the past couple of months, but he could still wear 18 month shirts.  Not anymore!  I finally had to pack up the 18 month shirts because they are a little short on the arms.  Haha! 

I've been s-l-o-w-l-y making Colton's birthday decorations.  Our theme this year will be "Trains".  I've created a general train from MS Publisher.  I think they turned out pretty cute.  What do you think?
Train Labels

I've also drafted out Colton's birthday party invites with the same label to go with it.  I'll post it when I'm satisfied. 

These labels are accessible to anyone who would appreciate them.  Just print and cut for cupcake picks, garland and banner accents.  Have fun!

I've been doing a lot of practicing and idea searching for his party. I liked the train idea this past Summer. At first, I didn't know how to go about it and I really didn't want to go with all of "Thomas the Tank Engine" designs. That's when I checked out Hostess with the Mostess blog and there it was.  The train party of the year!  Of course, I wanted to design my own and did a few exercises before I got it just right.  Here's a picture of the train party that I'm hoping to be Colton's party. 


I'm also making the paper dot garland from scrapbook paper as well. I'm making my garland 60", so I can swag them along my ceiling. I also made a couple of 30" garlands to just let them dangle. It being a boy birthday party, I chose all prime colors (blue, green, yellow, red).

Colton's vocabulary is growing all the time.  His new words are "oh, gosh" and "I cookie", which translates to "I want a cookie".  From time to time, we get confused with "gosh" and "cars" because they sound so much a like. 
Mirya

No comments: