Tuesday, July 24, 2007

It's Like a Zoo Around Here!




Last Friday, we met Wayne, Laura & Alise to visit the zoo. It turned out to be a nice breezy day, especially in the shade. Of course the humidity was 94%, which made it much hotter than it would have been. I just thank the people who put air conditioning in the exhibit buildings. We had such a good time, but it was too much zoo to cover. I really don't know what was Katie's favorite animal to see. I think she enjoyed the Monkeys and Snakes the best. Sure, she liked the Giraffe, Zebra, Tiger & Lion. She didn't care for the birds much. The train ride was something else. It was like a roller coaster ride. One minute, we were going slow then all of the sudden, we would be zooming around a corner. What a ride! Katie would look at me and say, "Whee." Later, I asked her if she liked the ride. She replied, "uh, huh. Fun, Mommy." Alise and Katie couldn't get over the snakes slithering up the glass window. The snakes actually gave me the willies, while Katie and Alise sat there watching them in amazement. Laura and I took the girls to the butterfly exhibit. The keeper asked us to please stay on the trail in the exhibit room. Sure, no problem. Yeah, right! Tell that to the girls. While Laura and I were busy taking pictures of these magnificent species, we heard Katie and Alise laughing and having a good time. Curious, I turned around to see what they were up to. They were in the far corner of the butterfly exhibit running around all the plants and playing hide and seek. All the fun of running around, they both fell down and was hidden by all the butterfly bushes and other types of plants. Maybe they didn't hurt anything. I have to say it was funny to watch the girls. We planned our zoo tour to where we would arrive at the Children's Play Area at the tail end. By that time, I think the kids were ready to play in some water. They had such a good time, running around getting wet. We let them play for a while and then we headed to the Carousel. I had a hard time getting Katie to cooperate with me. She didn't want to leave the water. I kept the Carousel over her head just so I could get her clothes on. We let the girls ride on the Carousel twice and I have a feeling Katie would have stayed longer, if we had let her. I thought Katie would enjoy petting the sheep and goats in the Petting Zoo. All she wanted to do is walk around in their pen. Afraid she would start picking up pellets, I got her out of the pen right away. She wasn't even interested in the cow. I think towards the end, she began to get tired.

When we left the zoo, the girls were pooped. Poor Katie fell asleep before we left the parking lot. I began to get tired myself. Doug and Wayne wanted to stop off at a local outdoors shop, so Katie and I stayed in the car and slept while they shopped. We wanted to try a new restaurant (to us) called "Mellow Mushroom." It's a pizza place, we've heard a lot about. I didn't realize how hungry I was until I took that first bite. Wow! I don't know if I was just so hungry or they really have good pizza. We ordered their Meaty Pizza. It had bacon, pepperoni, hamburger, sausage and cheese. So Good! I was surprised there was one piece left. I started to get it because no one else wanted it, but I knew I had to stop or I would regret it.

No comments: