Monday, August 11, 2008

Issac Hayes Passes Away Sunday!

Photobucket



I heard some more troubling news this morning on Fox and Friends. Not only are we probably going to war with Russia to help a small country from a big bully, but Issac Hayes dies at the age of 65. According to Time Magazine, Hayes' wife found him unconscious on the floor by his treadmill in their Memphis home on Sunday. He was known for his music writings and starring in movies. If you've never heard of Issac Hayes, you would probably know him from the 70's (I believe) song "Shaft". I hear this song quite a bit on commercials to this day.

I believe I've caught a viral bug from this past weekend, I've been a little under the weather. I hope it's just a 24 hour thing. I had planned to visit Mom today because I didn't visit her this past weekend. Unfortunately, we ended up laying around the house today and watched Barbie movies. Oh boy! I got to watch two new Barbie movies this morning. Doug bought Katie "Barbie in Fairytopia". Peggy and Millard bought her "Barbie in the Magic of Pegasus", I'm pretty sure that's the correct names. I have a hard time getting the names correct. We did watch a movie that we TiVo'd yesterday, "Daddy Day Camp". Oh, I recommend this movie to anyone. It is so cute and funny, Katie couldn't keep her eyes off of it. She'd laugh and tell me that those boys were so funny. I remember the first movie, "Daddy Day Care" with Eddie Murphy. It was funny as well, but anything with Eddie Murphy makes me a little nervous around Katie (language). This time Cuba Gooding Jr. is the main Daddy to start up a camp for his little boy.

Lord willing, I'll be able to take Katie by the ballet school tomorrow. Class registration is all this week from 2:00-6:00. Katie is so excited! I told her how Mom needs to feel better, so she can sign up for ballet. She was singing, "I'm goin' dance ballet and be a ballerina". I may just have to suck it up and go. Her classes start next week. I hope she enjoys it, but if not at least we tried it out. Right?

I spoke to Mom earlier and she said that she's got 14 more days before she can be checked out of the Nursing Home. Bless her heart, she wants to come home so bad that it's hard not to cry with her. You feel so bad for her and feel her pain right along with her. She said it's going to be so hard for her to leave the Nursing Home and then have to come back either later that night or the next morning. I understand Dad's point as well. He wants to make sure he can handle her physically before he takes her out of the NH for good. She told me, they've been practicing getting in and out of the Jeep (Dad's truck) today. She told me that she just wanted to stay seated in her truck and tell him "let's go". This has been very hard on her. She needs your prayers that God will get her through this very tough time.

I'm sure you've always heard the question, "which came first the chicken or the egg?" I've always thought it was the chicken just because God spoke everything into existence and why would there be an egg before a chicken. That's just my thoughts about it. C.S. Lewis gives us a whole new perspective on the subject. He says and I quote "It may be hard for an egg to turn into a bird: It would be a jolly sight harder for it to learn to while remaining an egg. We are like eggs at present. And you cannot go on indefinitely being just an ordinary, decent egg. We must be hatched or go bad." - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity. This quote was on my Sunday School book for our lesson this next weekend. We are learning how to mature our spirituality. You know, it's one thing to accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior and believe He is the one true God of this whole universe. It is quite another to keep in check and be able to reach the spiritual maturity that He would want us. If you might be struggling with Spiritual Maturity as well as any other Christian, may I recommend Bruce Wilkinson's "Secrets of the Vine". It's a great short book about the whys of God molding us, His children, into the spiritually mature followers that He would have us. The commentary in my study book also adds a very good point. First, ask yourself. Are you ever content? It could be anything from the clothes you wear, paint on your walls, family life or work place. Well, good news! God never intended for us, as Christians, to remain content and complacent like unhatched eggs. God's plan for His followers always includes spiritual growth. I felt so relieved when I read this because I'm never good at being content. Whether it's my hair style or learning God's word and understanding it fully. This commentary came from Life Value Bible Studies for Life Summer 2008 edition. The background passage comes from Hebrews 5:1-6:12.

Last but not least, Wow! Congratulations US of A ! Have y'all been watching the Olympics? Go Michael Phelps! I begin watching from 7:00 - 11:00 p.m. and I've been so impressed over all the medals the American athletics have won for our country. Kudos to you! On top of that I know the swim team for sure are breaking world records. We should all be very proud of these kids representing the USA like they have.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Mi - I am so confused! Are you and Doug not going to Colorado? I thought Katie-bug was going to take classes there? If not, why did you guys cancel the beach trip?