Tuesday, March 31, 2009

First Day Home

We were finally released from the our doctors around 11:30 yesterday morning. It took us a while to get ready because I would have to stop and feed Colton. I was so glad that Dr. Kakani gave her nurse the okay to take out my staples. I'm still really swollen, so I can't see my incision. Doug looked at it and said that it looks real good, no redness or irritation. My only real pain I'm having is a burning/aching sensation on my right side. Dr. Kakani said that will happen because of the tubal. She said it will just take some time for it get go away for good.

The big excitement that happened at the hospital was when our nurse, Sharon, forgot to turn in the security number off of Colton's security band into Hospital Security Department. She cut the band and the whole hospital shut down and this warning went off on the hospital intercom system. According to the nurse, when this alarm goes off, it shuts down the elevators, locks all exit doors and calls the security guards. Sure enough, it didn't take long before a security guard was standing in our doorway. Oops! Nurse Sharon felt really bad about the whole thing, but it gave us a sense of safety.

We got home around 2:30 yesterday evening. Colton and I took cat naps on the road home. Huntsville Hospital was so good to us and I had a great experience, while staying there. Saying that however, it was so nice to be home and in your own surroundings. We had a few visitors come by when we got home. Dad and mom didn't get to hold Colton the other day, when he was delivered. Mom had a big day and was so tired. I hated that they didn't get to really see him until yesterday. I gave him to mom and she didn't let go, which is fine with me. I got tickled at her because every once in a while, I'd ask her if she was okay holding him. "Oh yeah," she'd answer. As soon as Millard got off work, him and Peggy came by with Katie. She was so excited to see that we were finally home. She had to give Colton tons and tons of hugs and kisses. We've all had to go through this new adjustment and it's been a little hard on Katiebug. She just doesn't understand that she can't give Colton a bear hug, she can't touch all over his face and she can't hold him by herself. I feel so sorry for her. She's learning and we all have to grow a little more patience. Last night, Kevin, Maryann and Natalie came by to visit. Maryann and Natalie had to leave early Friday because Natalie had a basketball game at Murphreesboro, so this was the first time they got to hold Colton.

I think I over did it yesterday, so today was a good day to just lay around and enjoy my family. Colton has decided to be a snacker today. I'm really going to try to get him out of this habit. He wants to drink up to 15 minutes every hour or hour and half. I also tried to keep him up today, but it's been a little hard when I'm on pain medicine and going to sleep myself. Ha! I know it's going to take some time to get his days and nights straightened out. I was just really hoping I might be able to make the impossible, possible within 2 weeks. Why 2 weeks? Doug will be going back to work in a couple of weeks and I'm going to need that energy to keep up with Katie during the day. Oh well, it will work out.

Below are a few pictures of our Coming Home:


Laura said...

I just love those pictures of everyone holding Colton! I can't wait to get my hands on him myself!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Colton is just precious! I love the pictures of you and Doug and Katie holding him! Mom looks GREAT! Enjoy your little family. Love, Sister Sandy

thekeyes said...

AWE finally home! I thought that it didn't really feel real until i got home with lilly. Does it feel real now? he looks alot like doug to me. ;-)

Cary Hairbows said...

Welcome home!! Please keep the pictures coming of your darling family!

Colton is so adorable. I want to kiss his cheeks. ;)