Friday, September 25, 2009

Family Sickness

Unfortuately this week hasn't gone as planned, but that's okay. After school on Wednesday, Katie began acting funny. She was whiny, clingy and not her usual bouncy self. To top it off she had a dry cough. She began running a low grade temperature of 99.8 degrees. Uh oh! I watched her very close and quarantined her in her bedroom for the rest of the day. I had her all set up in her bedroom (TV, coloring book & crayons, books, dolls, juice & crackers & peanut butter). She wasn't happy because she couldn't talk to me from the Living Room. So, we worked it out by me holding Colton and talking to her down the hallway. It was a sight.

The next morning, her fever was still gone, but now she had a croupy cough. I had her stay in her room until I felt comfortable that the germ was gone. It seemed like a 24 hour bug. She said she didn't hurt any where. She just didn't feel good and all she wanted was me. We worked it out to where I would tend to Colton, get him settled (playpen or in bed)and I would spend time with Katie. Right when I thought everything was clear, Katie crawled up in her bed and went to sleep. I really didn't think anything of it because I knew that she needed the rest. When she got up from her nap, she started it again (whiny, clingy, very croupy cough and fever - 100.8 degrees). After I gave her some more Tylenol, I called Dr. Lunsford to see if we could come in today, just in case this wasn't going away. I guess the cough is what concerned me the most. I was afraid that it would settle in her lungs. Well, he had an opening yesterday afternoon. I went ahead and took it because I wanted to make sure that she didn't have anything worse and with the weekend fast approaching, I didn't need to wait around too long. Peggy was sweet enough to watch Colton for me, while Katie and I went to the doctor's office. With her symptoms, they automatically tested her for flu. It came back negative, but Dr. Lunsford wasn't going to go by the test. He said the test really doesn't rule out the flu. My question is - if the test really doesn't mean anything, then why do they do the test? He checked her lungs, heart, stomach, ears and throat. He said everything was clear. He believes that all she has is a virus and for us to just wait it out. She's doing much better today. So far, her fever is staying away. She still has her croupy cough, sneezing and runny nose. She's kind of upset with me because I won't let her run around and play hard. When I explained to her about the fever, she calmed down quickly because she hates taking medicine. Her appetite still hasn't shown up yet. I think all I was able to get her to eat was 4 pieces of McNuggets. Today, all she's ate was one bite of a biscuit. I'm keeping her cup full of juice, so she's hydrated.

Last night, I accidentally mistaken her McDonald's drink for mine and took a swig. Oops! I woke up this morning with a croupy cough and I'm very horse, but I don't ache or anything.

Yesterday, Katie's croupy cough left her horse. I didn't want to strain her throat anymore than it had been. So, I gave her my little bell that my Grandpa Godfrey gave me. I told her to ring the bell if she needed food, something to drink or if she's feeling sick. It wasn't long before she was trying out her bell. I'd go back there expecting her to say that she was sick or hungry. Nope! She wanted to talk or play with me. Ugh! After a million unnecessary bell rings, I told her that I would be forced to take it away if she didn't stop ringing the bell for things other than the 3 reasons mentioned. Amazingly, she suddenly understood what I was telling her. Isn't that something?

I think Peggy and Millard are going to come by here a little later, to pick up Colton and let him stay with them for a few hours. I guess I sound worse than I feel. They want me to rest. I suppose it's a good idea and I need to take them up on the offer.

Movies In Review
New In Town & 17 Again are great chick flick, if you ever need a good girl's night. Oh my gosh! I laughed and laughed at these two movies. I don't know, maybe I'm easily amused. I highly recommend them!

Quarantine
I've seen the preview for this movie awhile back. Now, I'm always game for a good scary movie. I noticed it was playing on Showtime this week. I had it TiVoed. As I was rocking Colton to sleep for the night last Friday, I thought I would play the movie. Oh me! Let's just say, it was dark and quiet and the movie was a little too real for me to continue to watch it during the night. Ewww! I'll have to give you a full review when I get the courage to watch DURING THE DAYTIME. I shiver just thinking about it.

Watch For The Upcoming Movies
Alright you Disney Movie Collectors! "Toy Story" has a new movie coming out - "Toy Story 3." In celebration of the new movie, Disney is showing both "Toy Story" and "Toy Story 2" in 3D at theaters. Recently, Katie has been loving "Toy Story." I need to make sure I pick up the next movie in the collection.

My personal favorite, "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" is coming out on Blu-Ray HD, I believe October 3rd. Keep your eyes open! I can't wait.

Tylenol Recall Notice
Is your child's Tylenol on the recall list? Katie's Tylenol wasn't on the list, but Colton's was. So, in the trash it went. Please check the list HERE . This list is supplied by Tylenol.

The notice begins: "You may have heard that McNeil Consumer Healthcare (the makers of Tylenol) is voluntarily recalling certain lots of Children's and Infants' Tylenol liquid products that were manufactured between April, 2008 and June, 2008 in consultation with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)."

Follow that and you'll make it to a letter that sheds some light on what you "may have heard":
The company has implemented this recall because examination of bulk raw material detected that one of the inactive ingredients did not meet internal testing requirements.Specifically, the gram-negative bacteria Burkholderia cepacia (B. cepacia) was detected. The portion of raw material in which the bacteria was found was isolated and was not used in the production of any finished product. However, it was decided, as a precaution, to recall all product that utilized any of the raw material manufactured at the same time as the raw material that tested positive for the bacteria. Please note: No bacteria has been detected in finished product and the finished product has met all specifications.
Source: "Some explanation, if you look for it, on the Children's Tylenol recall," Los Angeles Times Health, September 24, 2009 9:57 am

Mirya

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh no, so sorry to hear that little Miss Katie isn't feeling well. And now Mommie has it! That is tough! Glad it is nothing more than a virus. The reports on the flu has everyone jumpy. Keeping you and your family in prayer for quick healing and that no one else in the house gets sick. Love, Sandy