Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Summer's Nearly Over

Can you believe the year is half over? It's July! Our very involved and busy June is gone. With the 4th of July being over, I can actually sit back and breathe a little before we have to get ready for school to start back. We have enjoyed our summer, good and bad.

We found out today that one of the little neighbor girls, S, will be moving away Saturday. I'm allowing Katie to spend as much time with her as she wishes because I know it will be hard on her when she is gone. I had a little friend like that when I was her age, Mandy. We were the best of friends until her dad accepted a job in Texas. It absolutely killed me when they moved. I was 4 or 5 years old when we first met and 6 years old when she moved away. Her grandparents didn't live very far, so from time to time I would get to visit her. Saturday, Katie had a complete breakdown because S would be leaving soon. Doug and I had to have a serious talk with her because S convinced Katie into running away with her. Katie was just sobbing when we talked. S doesn't want to leave and Katie doesn't want to see her go. It's so sad. Of course, S still comes up every day to our place for as long as I will let her. Please pray that S will receive the love and attention that she needs. I also hope that someone will put her under their wing and get her into church.

It's beginning to be the dawg days of summer, sooo hot. I absolutely dread August. With the heat comes dreading to cook. I do not like to cook inside during the summer months because it makes the whole house HOT. On the other hand, I don't like to cook outside because as soon as I open the door to check the grill, I turn into a puddle of water. I've been so use to the air conditioning for too long that without it I'm miserable. Last month, I tried to do some cooking in the morning that way the house wouldn't be so hot at night. Well, it's hard to do that we have gotten into a habit of staying up late and waking up late. LOL! (I'm going to try to get everyone back on the clock) Yesterday, I decided that I'm going to break out the ol' crockpot and roaster. Tomorrow, I plan to make barbeque chicken with white sauce, sauteed squash and zucchini, baked beans and toast. Don't be surprised, if I try a bloggers recipe. When I get in these moods, I tend to try different recipes because want a change from the same old, same old. I'm hungry for summer time suggestions.

Please feel free to leave me a suggestion.

Movie Review
Transformers, Dark of the Moon

If you're a Transformer fan, you'll love this movie. If you're a Josh Duhamel fan, you'll love this movie. In my opinion, this movie ties the other two movies together. Before the movie was over, I was thinking "oh, okay. That makes sense now." Doug, Chuck and myself went Sunday night to see it at the Monoco in 3D. This was the first time I've seen a 3D movie before inside the Monoco. Oh and get this, we had balcony seats that reclined. LOL! I'm afraid this movie theatre could easily spoil me.  The guys were so nice to let me dine at "Connor's Steakhouse."  It was so good! And get this, I got to do a little shopping before we ate.  YAY!  I had a lovely day. 
I believe this is the first time, I've every had Katie pick out just about everything she wants for her birthday. Ugh! She is so picky and sometimes it's just best to have her pick everything out. Of course, I believe I've gone over my limit. I did order a couple of things online that she doesn't know anything about. The Gymboree pair of wedges that she begged me to buy her in Leeds and a Wii game that had lots of positive reviews "Animal Crossing." I think she'll like it. I gave her a choice of having a family party or doing something with a few of her friends. She absolutely loves Air It Out. She wanted me to rent their party room for her big day. I hated to shoot her down, but momma's not made of money and $200 for 2 hours (1 hour playing on inflatables and 1 hour party room) just isn't worth it. I promised her that I would pay her and her friend's way in for an hour and then we might go somewhere to eat (DQ for ice cream). She told me that she didn't want to go eat. I think she'll change her mind when she finds out that we'll go to Dairy Queen, which is one of her favorite places to eat. Her actually birthday is on Saturday this year, so I plan on having the grandparents come over for dinner and a small birthday celebration for Katiebug. I think the hardest part about it is that she has to decide which 3 girls are going to be invited to spend sometime with her on her big day. I chose the number 3 because anymore than that I might as well rent the party room for $200. We don't want an odd number of girls because someone will always get left out. She's just going to have to decide and get back with me.

With these hot summer days, we've been really using the Wii and Xbox. They've been very good purchases thus far. I need to do them everyday because before we get through playing, I'm a puddle of water. It's good, fun exercise, especially playing Xbox 360 Kinect. Oh my gosh! I'm thinking about purchasing the Zumba game. I've heard good things about it.

Oh, speaking of school starting up soon. The reality hit me like a tons of bricks, while we were at Walmart today. The aisles that they were using as their summer fun aisles. You know the ones. You've got sunscreen, coolers, snacks and beverages. Well, they are all cleared and clerks were stocking notebooks, binders and pencils. I had to take a swallow. It's nearly here. I asked Katie if she was excited about starting back to school. "Yeah, but I'll be at a new school." she answered. I think her changing schools before really confused her. I reminded her that she won't be changing schools this year. "Will I get to see Mrs. Moore?" her eyes all bright with excitement. "Yes," I reassured her and she was all excited. She said can't wait to get back to school and find out who her new teacher will be and who will be in her class. I hope she understands that the kids in her class last year, will not necessarily be in her class this year. I've been trying to prepare her, but all she does is just look at me like I'm wasting her time.

What got me a little excited was when I got to go to Hobby Lobby last week and they were putting out Thanksgiving and Christmas decorations and crafts. Yay! It just gets me all getty inside. I have to slap my hands when I see things such as these. LOL! I also have to remind myself that I've got to put together at least 3 ribbon trees, make spinach dip and help host Whitney's baby shower in little over a month. I've bought some ribbon because HL had them on sale last week. Who knows if it will be enough. I've got to purchase the other supplies before I can even start. I'm hoping the remaining supplies will go on sale fairly soon. With traditional summer weddings coming to an end, I'm hoping they'll be putting it up for 50% off soon. I am getting a little antsy about it.

Stay cool everybody.
Mirya

No comments: