Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A Fulfilling Life . . . From Preschool to Spit Up

Today, Colton, Katie and myself went to Walmart in order to purchase some snacks for Katie's school snack time. I think I went a little over board, but I know my daughter. One day she will love one thing and the next day, she'll hate it. Ugh! That's what we get for raising a "Drama Queen." I did let her pick out most of the snacks. I've got her covered: Cheddar Fish Crackers, Ritz Mini Peanut Butter sandwiches, Cracker Cheese Dunkers, snack size Pringles, Trix yogurt and juice boxes. She wants me to go back and get her some apples, bananas and strawberries. I didn't want to get them today because she doesn't start school until the 12th of August. How well do you know about the yogurt that's suppose to be good for your immunity system? Well, I thought it would be good for our household, minus Colton, to drink these Immunity yogurt shots every day, since Katie will be exposed to God knows what. so, I grabbed a pack to try. I haven't tried it yet and I hope that it will taste okay. I also grabbed some yogurt for myself. I've always had a sweet tooth and that's what gets me into trouble with my weight. So, I thought I would get back into eating the fat free, light calorie yogurt to help my sweet tooth. I've been off of bread for about a month now. I've substituted my breads with fat free wraps for both breakfast and lunch. All I make are either breakfast burritos or sandwich wraps. I've been taking it slow and easy because I know I'll binge, if I cut everything off. Anyway, that's another post for later. Katie was so excited, picking out snacks. I even let her pick out a different pencil bag. She's had her Elmo & Zoe pencil bags for a couple of years and she doesn't even like Elmo & Zoe. I don't know what it was that turned her away from them because she liked them when she was beginning to toddle around. As soon as she figured out what a princess was, that's all it took for her to turn. Now, it's all princesses, ballerinas, and fairies. So, guess what kind of bag she picked out? Yep, you guessed it! The Disney PRINCESSES! I wanted her to get this light pink bag with sparkles all over it. Nope! She liked the princesses better. Oh well!

I'm trying my hardest to hold off until Friday to purchase any real school supplies (pencils, crayons, finger paints, Kleenex, and baby wipes). Does your state offer "Tax Free Day"? Well, we are suppose to have ours starting August 7-10. Yep! All weekend! I can't wait! {writing this with sooo much sarcasm}

I still can't believe that school days are here. It was just the month of June last week. I guess we had such a busy July that time flew so fast for us. I didn't even get Colton's 3 month old picture taken at Portrait Innovations. Ugh! I did take a few snapshots. Maybe he won't hate me when he gets older. Needless to say, I've got to get his picture taken. With Peggy's help and Katie's free days (between school & ballet), I plan to take Colton sometime this month to get his picture taken. I spoke to Katie this morning about not having her picture made with time Colton, this time. Before you begin throwing the tomatoes in my face, hold on and let me explain. You know the first year of a baby's life is so important to professionally catch those milestone months (3, 6, 9 & 12 months old). After that I figure once a year is good because they really don't change that much, like during their first year. Well, Katie just had her picture made with Colton at Easter. She will also have her picture made this Fall and Spring at school. Let's not forget this year's Ballet Portrait. Plus, this year is Family Christmas Portrait, which I like to have made around the end of November. Can you say Cha-Ching!?! Ugh, all I can see right now are DOLLAR $IGN$. I don't think it is necessary to have Katie's picture taken every time Colton has his taken. When I do get him scheduled for his 4 month old picture session, I'm going to try to refrain from purchasing the big package. Instead, I'm going to try to purchase the $9.95. The only thing is you can only pick out one pose for this package. Boo Hoo!

Y'all, Colton is developing the cutest little personality. Call it a mom thing, but daggum he's so darn cute. He could be laying in his bed crying and screaming, trying to get my attention. As soon as he sees my face, a smile comes over his and those hands and legs begin flying every where with excitement. Little stinker! He absolutely is a cuddler and loves to be rocked. If I try to lay him down, while he is still awake, he'll cry and whine until I pick him up and head for the rocker. He might fight me a little bit, to stay awake, but it's usually not long before he's out. My gracious, he has been eating the food. I've been noticing him getting cranky and taking a 5-6 oz. bottle more than before. So today, I thought I would just feed him until his heart is content. Oh my! I hope I didn't feed him too much. This morning, he took a 7 oz. bottle of formula and 6 Tbsp. of oatmeal cereal. It wasn't 5 hours later, he was hungry. I fed him a 6 oz. bottle of formula and a 1/2 jar of Sweet Potatoes (baby food). Three hours later, he was hungry again. Knowing that it hadn't been that long before I fed him, I gave him a 4 oz. bottle of formula. Four hours later, he was hungry. I gave him a 6 oz. bottle, 1/2 jar of sweet potatoes, 7 Tbsp. of oatmeal cereal, and a jar of Prunes. I think he would have continued eating if I gave it to him, but I was afraid he would get sick. For you moms that are laughing at me right now, thinking that I've lost my marbles. You have to understand, I'm not use to this type of eating habit. Remember, I had the little petite "MISSY" that ate like a bird until she turned 3 years old. I had to put a whole jar of apple sauce in her oatmeal/rice cereal in order for her to take a couple bits. It might be just me, but I think the oatmeal and rice might fill Colton up a little better than the pureed baby foods. So, I think starting tomorrow, I'm going to up his cereals at every meal and see if that will help him out a little better. Oh, someone asked me the other day if it looked like he might have a favorite food. Well, I think we found a winner. I wished I had recorded him eating Prunes this evening. HA HA! He was one happy little boy with all that yucky brown looking prune juice all over his face. As soon as I would say "bite, bite" that mouth would fly open and he'd go searching for it. When he got his bite, he'd start smiling and talking to me. Just like he is saying "Yummy that's so good." HA HA! So cute! I have to say his first bite of Prunes was pretty funny. It was sour because his mouth puckered up and his one eye closed. After the 3rd taste, he was at it with both hands. Yes, he actually grabbed at my hand (with the spoon full of food) and pulled it toward his mouth. He was a movin' and a groovin', eating his PRUNES! I couldn't get over how he ate the whole jar. I only have one more jar of Prunes to give him, so I guess I'll have to pick up some more the next time I go. I only got 2 because Katie never cared for Prunes that much. Her favorite baby food was apple sauce and it is still her favorite, except I buy her the "Strawberry Banana" flavor now. She's my strawberry nut.

By the way, I think Colton did have a little too much to eat. I say this simply because he spit up after being burped, then during bath time and another time before going to bed.

"The JOY of SOURED Milk!"

Mirya

1 comment:

The Thorsrud Family said...

hey. Look to see if the yogurt is pasteurized. That kills most of the bacteria. Also, most on the market defeat the purpose, since there is a LOT of sugar. Completely defeats the purpose. I looked for a good one several times when I was sick and did take those shots. I was also amazed to see how much yogurt had high fructose corn syrup. Not very good for you. That's a lot of sugar. Plain yogurt is best, add your own fruit and if it's not sweet enough, through in some stevia, a natural sweetener. But the best, is to take a probiotic supplement. That's another chapter of writing. Call if you want details. That reaches your gut a lot better, but there are a lot of bad ones out there. That's what I took to get well too! It keeps all your bacteria under control, and is most of your immune system. I found some WONDERFUL probiotics if you are interested. Most of them in the stores are dead, so once again, defeats the purpose! I almost got C. Diff again when I was on a "dead" probiotic from the grocery store.