Tuesday, August 10, 2010

First Day of Kindergarten

Katie's First Day of Kindergarten - Check out the Twinkle Toes (LOL!)

I would like to wish all parents, educators and young little minds a very happy school week. A lot of schools opened their doors today for the first time of the 2010-2011 school year. Ours was one of those facilities.

Katie had so many emotions running through her. She knew this day was coming and she's been so excited to get back to school. So last night, I had to explain to her why she had to go to bed early (8:30PM). At first, she told me that she couldn't wait to go to school. As the night wore on and I had to get her tucked into bed for the hundredth time, the lip came out. I assured her that everything would be just fine and I would be parked ready to pick her up when they finished for the day. She said she would miss her dolls and television. Forget missing mom or Colton, she's worried about the dolls. She wanted the full details as to what she is going to do after school. As soon as I told her that after her homework, she could watch a little TV or play with her dolls, a little smile creeped back on her face.

During the night was a little rough for both Katie and myself. I guess the nerves set in and she kept sneaking into our bedroom between 1-3AM. Sometimes, she would cry saying that she was scared or her tummy hurt her. Bless her heart, I knew what was going on with her, but she didn't understand. I felt so bad for her. Almost every morning, growing up, I would wake up with my stomach in knots. I never ate breakfast because I was usually a bundle of nerves. By the middle of the day, I'd be feeling better. I finally learned to eat a slice of toast before catching the bus.

When I got Katie up this morning at 6:30AM to get ready for school. The butterflies were still there. I gave her a 1/2 Children's Tums to ease her belly ache. Of course, the chin started to quiver. The cried off and on throughout the morning. So, if Katie's crying, momma's got to keep it together for her. She wouldn't eat anything because of her stomachache. She kept telling me that she was too nervous to eat anything. Being a mom, I assured her everything would be fine once she got to school and in class.

On the way to school, she told me the directions "how to get to school." Too cute. I am so glad that I decided to not to walk her into her class. There were two police officers directing traffic and the PEOPLE, they were everywhere. The parking lot was packed already and people were beginning to park at a secondary parking lot (up the road). I had a hard time getting to the drop off spot for all the parents EVERYWHERE. It was a mad house. Finally a few school staffers came out to clear the way, letting people through the doors and out of the drop off zone. Poor Katie couldn't unlock her seatbelt because I buckled it in the wrong fastener. Ugh! So, I reached back to unlock it and one of my nails caught one of her fingers. Oh no! Here come the tears again. Daggum mom. Here she was actually calming down before I had to cut her with my nails. Ugh! Then, to top it off one of the staffers opened up the passenger door to get her out. Here we go again with the drama. Poor Katie just had a rough morning. I hope her day will get before as the day goes along. On the way home, I had to choke back the tears a time or two. I asked her before I dropped her off if she would tell me how her day was unlike last year. She said she would, which makes me feel good. I thought it was sweet. She told me, "mom, I'm going to go to school and make lots of new friends."

At home, Colton and I don't know what to do with ourselves without Katie.  We've got all this time and don't know where to start.  So, I thought I would start by telling you how it went. 

Hugs!

Mirya

2 comments:

Laura said...

Oh, that story just breaks my heart! I have tears in my eyes. So sad. And then to see her picture from last year under your post....I can't believe our babies are starting kindegarten!

Alise's school begins next Tuesday, so I will be a basket case then! It will be my turn! But I am oh-so hoping that she gets my old kindegarten teacher to make the idea not be so bad!

Give Katie a kiss for us and tell her that I plan to show Alise her first day of school pic tonight and to be watching for Alise's next week!

Love ya'll!

Allison said...

So sweet and sad...Anya's first day is Thursday...I can't wait, but I can at the same time!
Was going to tell you that we joined the aquatic center too so we will have to work out together!