Saturday, November 17, 2007

Did You Know? Thanksgiving Trivia

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Did you know?

How the Turkey Got Its Name

There are a number of explanations for the origin of the name of Thanksgiving's favorite dinner guest. Some believe Christopher Columbus thought that the land he discovered was connected to India, and believed the bird he discovered (the turkey) was a type of peacock. He therefore called it 'tuka,' which is 'peacock' in Tamil, an Indian language.

Though the turkey is actually a type of pheasant, one can't blame the explorer for trying.

The Native American name for turkey is 'firkee'; some say this is how turkeys got their name. Simple facts, however, sometimes produce the best answers—when a turkey is scared, it makes a "turk, turk, turk" noise.

Turkey Facts

Turkeys can have heart attacks: turkeys in fields near the Air Force test areas over which the sound barrier was broken were known to drop dead from the shock of passing jets. Personally, I did not know this!

Tonight, I let Katie watch Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving Day Special from the blog and she loved it. She laughed and laughed at Snoopy and Woodstock getting the dinner table ready for the big feast. You can watch Parts 2 and 3, supplied by YouTube. All you have to do is click on the next clip, after the Part 1 video clip ends. I told Doug, we will have to get this movie for her. Surely, Wal-Mart or Target sells this DVD. I'll have to check it out. My walking Thanksgiving Turkey in the top right corner of this blog page, Katie thinks it's a movie and requests to watch it.

I finely made an appointment with Portrait Innovations for next week and I'm so not prepared. As I was fixing my hair today, I noticed how shaggy it's getting. I have to cut my hair once a month or it can be so unbearable. Well, I'm going to have to go ahead and apologize for the way my hair will look on the Christmas pictures. I believe we are all going to wear red in the pictures. I bought a pretty red top with velvet trim around the neck and sleeves. I'll wear it with black dress pants. Doug will wear a red checked shirt with black dress pants and Katie has her special red & green corduoroy outfit. I don't know if I want to take additional outfits for Katiebug. I guess if I do, I'll take her Snowman Smocked dress, if it still fits. I have a few other casual Christmas/Holiday outfits, I could take. I'll have to think about it.

TO ALL DEER HUNTERS
You will never believe what happened to me today. While all you committed Deer Hunters are all camoflauged, being as still as possible in the woods and not seeing a thing to kill for Supper, I had two beautiful young bucks in my front yard. Yes, I'm not lying! I had just woke up from a nap and Katie was still asleep on the couch. It was pretty gloomy outside and the sun wasn't shining anymore, so I decided to open up the front room blinds. Something made me look outside and a few cars, with their lights on, caught my attention. I opened up the front door and had a better look. I couldn't understand why the cars were stopped at the intersection of our street and the other street. What's going on? I decided to go outside and see if I could find out more. In the corner of my eye, I saw something move. I turned to look and there they were, right in front of me. I don't think they saw me, but they were two beautiful young bucks. If I had to guess the bigger buck may have had 6 points on it. He had a nice rack on him, but like I said they were young. I watched them walk across the street and feeding in the clearing on the other side, I guess on acorns. I knew Doug would have loved to see them. So I tried to carefully close the door to go get him. Well the storm door did that loud click and shut too hard. It had to have scared them off. I told Doug and we raced to the windows in the bedroom, but we couldn't see them. I went back out the front door and I saw them walking three houses down the street, still on the other side of the street. Our neighbors were outside watching the deer. The lady told me that earlier the deer were in our yard. Her husband just left yesterday for Indiana to deer hunt. She was giggling and saying that he was going to be so upset that he didn't get to see them.

No comments: