Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Our Little Pumpkin

This past week, I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to pick up Katie a descent sized pumpkin in order to be carved. I had hopes that Doug would be able to go with me to get the pumpkin. Of course, our weekend was full just like every other weekend is full, so I was afraid that we wouldn't be able to get Katie's pumpkin this year. Like every where else, I've noticed that the pumpkin supply has been picked through and we would only have one more weekend before Halloween. Ugh! Well Sunday after church, Doug agreed to go to Walmart with us and get Katie a pumpkin. We found the perfect size, but Katie wanted a baby pumpkin as well. She picked out the one she wanted and I suggested that we would paint the baby pumpkin. She was all for that idea. She was so excited that she wanted to paint it that night.

Yesterday morning, she asked again if we would paint our pumpkin today. Sure, why not? You may not know this about me, but I get very nervous doing crafts that include glue, paint and scissors with Katie. So, she had to learn the hard way that she has to listen to me and pay attention. I had glitter stickers and glitter glue to decorate the pumpkin. Before I could blink, she had all the stickers stacked on top of one another and the lids off of the glitter glue. Ugh! "TIME OUT!" When I had to take it away from her, all she could say was "mom I'm helping". I tried to explain to her that her stickers are not going to be sticky anymore, if she plays with them and the glue will get every where.

I figured that I would draw the face and let her paint the back of the pumpkin. She was getting impatient because I had to draw the face first and all she wanted to do is paint. She asked, "can I paint now?" Finally, it was time to paint. The package that the glitter glue came in said "ready to use". Well, the paint wouldn't come out. Before I finally stuck a pin down in the tube, I squeezed the bottle one more time. The top popped off and went flying across the room, followed by blue glitter glue. "Mom, what did you do?" Katie asked me all surprised. All I could do was laugh. There was blue glitter all over Katie's table, carpet, our white walls and on the entertainment center. I told Doug last night, I'll be finding blue glitter for the next year. LOL! Katie was so antsy about her turn to paint. She had a hard time getting the paint out of the tubes, so I had to help her paint spirals and squiggles. Sure enough, the stickers had a hard time sticking.



Here's our art work! I tried to paint the stem with red glitter glue, but all it would do is run down. It doing that made it look like red blood running down the pumpkin's face. Ugh! I had to constantly make sure the red "blood" wasn't running down in her face. Ha!


Here's Katie's art work! She did a good job. She couldn't understand why we didn't add a little pink marker art work.

Ryan Comes By
Ryan came by for a little visit. He wanted to see us before he had to head back home. Once Katie got warmed up to him, she wouldn't leave him alone. We would try to visit and catch up with each other, but Katie would not have it. She would get right in Ryan's face and boss him around. His work is still doing good and he will be taking a couple of classes that pertain to his job. He said that he and Kacy will have to work up until the day after Halloween and they'll get a few days off again. So, they are hoping to come down together for a couple of weeks. I asked him about Whitney and Zayne getting engaged. Him being the big brother, I didn't know what to expect from him. He said he couldn't be pleased about it. He went on and on about how he likes Zayne. They both went fishing the other day and had a good time. I am so glad to hear that they get along so well and I'm sure Whitney appreciates it. I know I love Zayne and how he takes such good care of Whit.

Prayer Request Update
I forgot to update you yesterday about a precious prayer request. My friend from church, Cindy, has a niece that thought she was pregnant and ended up being a tumor. Well, she did have an emergency surgery last Tuesday. Cindy reported Sunday that her niece had a DNC and removed the tumor. They sent the tumor off and won't know if it was cancer or not for a few days. Please continue to remember her in your prayers.

3 comments:

Laura said...

I'm laughing my head off...I'm still picturing blue glitter glue flying everywhere!!

Laura said...

p.S. I was laughing so much that I forgot to say that Katie did a great job on her pumpkin!!

The Keyes Family said...

nice pumpkin! we did stripes and polka dots on ours this year.