Sunday, December 14, 2008

Veggie Sausage Strata

I made this recipe for Christmas morning a couple of years ago. We had Peggy and Millard over early that morning and everyone raved about how it was good. I discovered this recipe from one of my "Taste of Home" cookbooks. Beings that I probably won't be cooking this Christmas morning, I thought I would at least share it with you. I hope you enjoy it.

Veggie Sausage Strata
2 lbs. Bulk Italian Sausage
2 medium Green Peppers, coarsely chopped
1 medium Onion, chopped
8 Eggs
2 C Milk
2 t Salt
2 t White Pepper
2 t Ground Mustard
12 slices bread, cut into 1/2" pieces
1 pkg. (10 oz.) Frozen Chopped Spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2 C (8 oz.) Shredded Swiss Cheese
2 C (8 oz.) Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 medium Zucchini, cut into 1/4 " slices

In a large skillet, cook the sausage, green peppers and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and mustard. Stir in the sausage mixture, bread, spinach, cheeses and zucchini. Transfer to a greased 13" x 9" x 2" baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Remove from the refrigerate 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 40-45 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 10-12 servings.

Mirya's Notes: We are not big onion and swiss cheese lovers. I left out the onion and you can substitute the swiss cheese with one of your favorites.

No comments: