Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Great Finds To Share

Health Note
Sometimes, I might flip the television station over to "The Drs" or "Dr. Oz." Now, I realize these are all television doctors and may not be equivalent to your own personal physician. Saying that I've slowly and I mean SLOWLY been trying to change our eating habits. I do know that you should have lots of daily fiber, but I never really knew how much until "The Drs." were talking about it one day. So, we've been trying out the whole wheat pasta, Doug's not on board with that one. I've been choosing Whole Grain foods over regular snacks and carbs. We really like Whole Grain Goldfish and Cheez Its around our household. So, the question for today is how much fiber are you supposed to take in daily? Would you believe, 25-30 grams a day. The fiber is good for several reasons, but what's most important to me is it helps prevent colon and breast cancers and heart disease. Saying this, it doesn't mean you should get on the fiber train full force or you will fall flat on your face. Trust me! I've done that before. Like most, I do not take in as much fiber as I should and no where near 25 grams a day. When I was pregnant with Colton, I had digestive issues and ate TONS of "Fiber One." Oh, I thought I was going to die right then and there. I didn't know what was wrong with me until I spoke to my sister. She knew I was eating the "Fiber One" snack bars. I guess I was eating 3-4 a day because of my condition. They were not helping but adding to my problem because I went all gung ho on the fiber. "The Drs." addressed that very issue. If you normally do not eat that much fiber, you need to take baby steps and slowly build up your grams of fiber. That's what I'm trying to do and luckily, it seems to be working.

Now that it's Spring time and warmer weather, I've wanted to put the comfort foods away for a brief moment. Today, I got all the ingredients to make my Chicken Salad. You'll find the Recipe HERE. I served it inside one of these:
These FlatOut Flatbreads are Multi-grain with Flax flour, which contains 8 grams of fiber per serving and an excellent source of Omega 3.  Plus, they are only 100 calories, 1 gram of sugar and 2.5 grams of fat.  I love wraps, so I thought it tasted really good.  "The Drs" suggested eating lots of fruit with skin on them like grapes throughout the day for small snacks.  So, I plan on doing this with the grapes I had leftover from my Chicken Salad.  

Laundry Tip
I don't think I've mentioned this great product before that's why I'm posting it now.  Because of our living situation, I've been using "Downy Wrinkle Releaser" for the past year. Grant it's not like ironing your clothes to perfection in preparation for that very important business meeting, but it does work.  Especially when you might be in a hurry or last minute mom errand run.  My excuse is our iron and ironing board is currently located in Colton's bedroom.  Now, we've tried moving them to other locations throughout the house, but we keep coming back to Colton's room because there is just no other convenient place to store them.  This arrangement has made it somewhat difficult for me because if he is asleep, I can't go barging into his room just to iron my clothes.  I've tried ironing my clothes the night before, but I'm one of those at the moment type people.  So, what I ironed the night before, I may not want to wear it the following day.  I go ahead, wear it and end up uncomfortable for the rest of the day.  Ugh!  Or I wasn't able to iron because I might be having "one of them days."  Needless to say, the idea went down the toilet.  That's when I discovered "Downy Wrinkle Releaser."  It works great for me.  I just spray a little bit on the wrinkled areas, stretch and wipe the wrinkles away.  Wha-la!

Yard Sale
I took a break today from the yard sale preparation, due to sinus problems. I know the meteorologist keeps saying that the pollen counts will come down as soon as the oaks and junipers stop pollenating. Yes, but when exactly will that be? I ask this question because I'm tired of going to bed with a headache and not being able to smell, waking up in the middle of the night hacking and dragging myself out of bed the following morning because of the drug induced coma I'm under. I can't take "Benadryl", so I'll say "Sudafed" to the rescue!

Lord willing, I'll get back to my Samford and Son's loot tomorrow morning, ready to put on some more price tags.  I think Maryann is going to try and help me out Friday.  Millard and Peggy will be here (thank you dear Lord) to tend to the kids for us.  It's amazing how they want to help me out.  You'd think it would be too boring to mess with, I know I am. 

Mirya

No comments: