Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Is God Talking To Me?

Have you ever just asked yourself after a few instances, "is God trying to tell me something?" He communicates to us in several different ways. Surprisingly, ways to get our full attention. For instance, you observe a large mural and each time you step away and look at it again, you'll always find something new. You have to be looking for it and when you do you are so surprised.

To start off my story, I try to stay in check with my purpose and path God wants me to be. A few weeks ago, during prayer time, I asked myself and God if I was where he wants me in my life. I'm I pleasing to Him in the works I do? I've been doing the regular responsibilities like tithing and volunteer work and I love doing all it, but is it enough to please God. The one thing that sticks out like a red flag is I know I need to read His Word more. It's amazing how the devil can put obstacles in your path causing you to veer away from God and His teachings. One of my Sunday School Teachers told me a long time ago that The Holy Bible is our survival/instruction manual. If you put it down for a second, you will become rusty and unprepared. If you've read my tag questions, you know by now that I like to be prepared. Tehe!

Last Sunday, our pastor talked about how we need to strive for God's Honor Role. Yes, I do mean "Role" and not "roll". We've been studying in 2 Timothy and this week was how to fulfil our purpose and bringing honor to God.
21In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for noble purposes and some for ignoble. 21If a man cleanses himself from the latter, he will be an instrument for noble purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work.
22Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. 23Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. 2 Timothy 2:20-23 (NIV).


I was reminded that I not only need to be honest with myself and God, but to others. Yeah, there's a fine line when it comes to being too honest with someone - use a little class. Yes, I'm one of God's many vessels and I need to keep it in check, so I may not bring dishonor to Him. I'm human and it's very hard to be set apart from worldly things and people. We are suppose to be set apart from these things, but it's the biggest challenge for me because it is in all my surroundings. I definitely try not to take part of the worldly things or follow in non-Christian footsteps. I strive to be right standing with God, but what a big challenge to keep at all times. One thing, this tells me is to continue striving (even if I fail at times) to honor God. The one specific words I would love to hear God say to me is "well done my good and faithful servant." What a blessing that would be? It's very hard to fathom the Almighty saying something wonderful like that to little ol' me. I'm a nobody, a mire speck in the history of human existence. This is one of many reasons why I love His graciousness and mercy on my pitiful soul. Which also reminds me to take it one day at a time. God tells us to live each day to the fullest in honoring Him. You talk about a challenge! How can I please and honor Him each and every day? Well, I believe, with me getting back into his continuous teachings and I like to think blogging about his blessings on my life might be able to touch one of these challenges He has put upon my heart. Sounds so simple. Doesn't it? God's not a difficult God. Truth be known, we as Christians sometimes make it harder than it can be. (Just my opinion). To verify my new challenge is from the daily devotion I read tonight from "Our Daily Bread". The readings again are from how God tells us to live each day in right standing with Him.

Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom. —Psalm 90:12

When all the pictures of our life are laid on the table, they will reveal our recurring words and actions. What story will they tell? It’s worth considering as we make our choices each day. — David C. McCasland

God has given life abundant—Live it fully every day; Though our time on earth is fleeting, He goes with us all the way. —Hess
(the following quotes are taken from "Our Daily Bread" July 30, 2008)

No comments: