Monday, March 19, 2007

Girls Night Out!


I was invited to go with my sister and her friends from work to attend a lecture from Frank Stitt, III. He is considered a local celebrity chef originally from God's Country and now owns three high scale restaurants in the Birmingham area. Not knowing what we were getting ourselves into, we were all excited (thinking it was a cooking or possibly sampling seminar). To our dismay, he was basically promoting organic foods. He was encouraging farmers in the audience to go more organic with both livestock and fields. He dramatized about it being healthier for you, better tasting and different flavors to choose from. All this might be true, but what he later had to admit is the key problem for me - Cost. He talked up the flavor and how wonderful it would be, but it might cost you 20% more than what you are spending now on food products. WHAT? We (working world 9-5) have gotten so spoiled on fast cooking and short cuts (all ready prepared foods). I'm sorry, some of these all ready prepared foods cost quite a bit around $6.00 - $15.00 (depending on size). Now, if we go all organic that price will cost 20% more. You might as well go out to eat and possibly save money. All that time and sweat working all day just to buy you your next meal. What is this world coming to? I know, I'm getting carried away. I had a real nice time with just the girls. We ate supper at the Market Street Cafe. June and I had their special - Lemon Baked Chicken with pasta, green beans and salad. It was good! June wanted something sweet, so her and I ordered their Italian Apple Dumpling. We didn't know it would take forever to bake (we should have just got a cookie). Well, we were suppose to be at the Princess Theatre at 7:00 p.m. in order for June's friends' names to be put in the basket to win a prize. The theatre was a few blocks away and it was 20 til 7. Thinking we had plenty of time because we'll leave the restaurant at 5 til 7, we waited and waited. Until it was 5 til 7 and no dessert and no ticket. I knew the girl that waited on us and bless her heart, she didn't know we were in a little bit of a hurry. I had to cancel the order and asked for our tickets. Well, the dessert was finished and they asked if we wanted to take it with us. Sure, why not. Bless her heart, the waitress had to hand write each one of our tickets and on top of that she divided the cost of the dessert 4 ways. I thought she would just put it on my bill or June's bill, but no. Needless to say, we arrived at the lecture 5 or 10 minutes late (approx.). During the lecture, we hear this noise. A loud buzz that was beginning to annoy me and June. We just looked at each other and try to be discreet about it (act like nothing is distracting us). About that time June's friend, Vet, lifted her arm off her purse (laying in her lap) and the noise went away. Not knowing she was the one making the noise (very loud), she told me she had just taken a picture from her cell phone of the inside of her purse. Ha! Ha! All four of us couldn't stop giggling. We acted like high school girls - poking, giggling, pointing and making faces. We had a pair of American Leagues in front of Vet and myself just 3 rows down. They were practically making out during the lecture, which (my opinion) made me sick. Of course, as soon as I asked June's opinion - if she thought they were American Leaguers or not - I had to sit there and explain to her what AL meant. We had a good time and it was nice to have met June's friends - a lot of fun. Oh by the way, we ate the Italian Apple Dumpling on the way home. I'm sure it tasted a whole lot better when it first got out of the oven then when we started eating on it an hour later. It was cold, gummy, and yuck. I couldn't finish it, but it smelled real good when we first got it. June looked at me and say "we should have just gotten the cookie." tehe!

Today, I finally got all of our Easter out and decorated the house. I really don't have that much, but Katie definitely noticed the Easter Bunnies and plastic eggs. She calls the Easter Eggs "Balls." Mom kept Katie for a little while in order for me to go with June tonight. I'll have to ask Mom in the morning if Katie was good for her. I know before we left, Katie was Buffaloing Mom something terrible. Mom would ask her a question and Katie would say "No!" While I was getting ready, Katie stood up on the couch and was running back and forth (she's not allowed to do). Mom would ask her if she was allowed to do that and she wouldn't straighten up until I got on to her. I warned Mom before I left Katie was Buffaloing her and to watch out. So I guess we'll see.

Tomorrow is the first day of Spring or according to my calendar. According to the local news, the first day of Spring is this Wednesday. I think I like my calendar better and will go by it. Let's celebrate! It's suppose to be beautiful here - in the low to middle 70s. I hope to have a photo shoot with Katiebug outside. We'll see if it works out for us.

Put on your Calendar
April 7 & 8 - Easter Pageant (Saturday & Sunday) at Northbrook Baptist Church. I hope you'll be able to come and see. I hope we will be able to go on Saturday and see it.

Motivational Quote of the Day
"Whoever is happy will make others happy too. He who has courage and faith will never perish in misery." -Anne Frank

Take care and God Bless You!

No comments: