Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Let It Snow! Let It Snow!



"Oh, the weather outside looks frightful, but the fire is so delightful. As long as you love me so, Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow!"


I bet every child within this county is jumping up for joy right about now. It began snowing here around 1:30 this afternoon and it hasn't stopped. In fact, it's coming down harder and there are huge flakes, which I love. I hope it snows a foot tonight. Some people around here don't really care for ice and snow, but I love it. Not so much about the ice, but I love the snow. I took the first opportunity and got a blanket around Katie and we went outside to see the snow. I really didn't think it would last because it's rare around here. At the time, the snow was so light that I'm not for sure Katie understood the whole snow thing. I taught her to stick out her tongue and catch the snowflakes. She didn't understand what I was doing until the snow got harder as the evening wore on. We've got quite a blanket of snow outside, up to an inch, and the driveway is beginning to get covered. Wow! I can't remember the last time it snowed like this. I've got pictures on the photosite for you to see.



In this picture, Katie finally got the knack of catching snowflakes with her tongue. Peggy called me to make sure Katie saw the snow. At the time, I had Katie laying on the couch to take a nap. I had the shades down so she could relax. I looked outside and I could tell it was snowing even more. I coated her up and outside we went. I took a few photos and taped her playing around outside.



This snow is the good northern packing snow. As you can see, Katie and I were able to make a small snowman out of it. Yeah, it's not the best snowman. Like I said, it doesn't snow around so I don't have the technique down. Katie had a blast making her snowman, but it was hard keeping her interested long enough to finish him. We used sticks for the hands and mouth, rocks for the eyes, nose & buttons and one of Katie's old sun hats. I didn't have a spare scarf to put around his neck, so I guess he's going to have to do without. I also taught Katie how to throw snow balls and she loved it. I had the hardest time finishing up the snowman with Katie putting snow down my pants. Brrr! It was cold! She couldn't get the snow ball all packed round. She would just grab some snow and put it on me. I would make little balls of snow and toss it to her. She laughed and giggled! I had a hard time getting her to take this picture with her snowman because it was getting dusk and she was cold and ready to get in the house. She doesn't like being outside when it gets dark. I taped her beginning a meltdown because she wanted in the house now. I guess all little kids go through the scared of the dark phase. Our lights inside the house went out this past weekend after a thunderstorm for about an hour(6-7 p.m.). The wind was so bad, I believe a limb or branch blew on our electric line causing the outage. Katie was having a fit because it was dark. I knew where she was, she I got down in the floor and crawled over to her. Me holding her didn't give her a sense of security. She wanted a light on right then and there. Doug went and got the flashlights, while we stayed put. As soon as Katie got her flashlight, she seemed satisfied. She kept that flashlight with her until the lights came back on.

I have good news! Maryann called me this afternoon about Mom. Dad and her went to the rehab clinic and met with Mom's Occupational Therapists and Physical Therapists. She will be able to come home a week from tomorrow. The OT & PT told Dad and Maryann that they were satisfied with her progress and we, family, need to make sure she doesn't fall. They advised that Mom will need to use a wheel chair when it comes to doing lengthy walking or activities like going shopping. This has nothing to do with her ability to walk, but more for her heart. Her heart is still very weak and she wears out fast. I understand, she will need to do this until her heart gets stronger. To walk around the house, she will need her walker to help her out. Maryann said that Mom is so relieved to be going home. Maryann said that Dad will/made arrangements to get an in-home assistance for about a week. Then she can go to the gym and get help from a physical therapist there.

Don't forget American Idol comes on tonight at 8/7 central on Fox
Stay warm!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Wow! Good pics! Love the one with Katie with her tongue out!