Thursday, February 28, 2008


"Dr. Suess' Horton Hears A Who" comes out to theaters on March 14th. I would love to take Katie to see this movie. We may have to make a Matinee beings that she has never been to the theater. Watching the previews, it sounds like it would be pretty funny especially with Jim Carrey and Steve Carell as the main character voices.

June came by the house today during her lunch hour. We had a nice visit. She filled me in on Nicholas' Senior Year, what she could for Katie talking her ear off. Once Katie got warmed up to June, she had to show and tell her everything. It sounds like Nicholas is going through the same things we went through during our Senior year - hormones and attitudes flying all over the place. I believe it's one of the toughest experiences in life to have to go through.

Katie and I caught a ride with Dad to see Mom at the rehab clinic. I have to say in my own personal opinion, she is doing great and continues to improve every day. Of course, she still has her good days and bad days. Her bladder is slowly working again and is able to go to the potty on her own a little more now. They put a catheter in her a couple of times today to make sure she is draining herself good. The doctor told her the more active she becomes the more her bladder will get back into functioning normally. Katie wasn't all that bad in Mom's room, but she was extremely curious. I only had to put her in time out twice.

Katie and I visited June, Nicholas and Pat as soon as we got back to Mom and Dad's house. I hated that I missed American Idol tonight, but we've got it TiVo'd. I knew June and them watched AI, so I had to ask who got voted off. She said Alaina and Alexandre were the girls, Ronnie and Michael were the boys to be sent home. I couldn't hardly believe Michael Johns got voted off. I told June about the terrible time I'm having getting Katie to stay in her bed during the night. I'll put her to bed at 9:00 and she'll still try to sneak into our bedroom from 9:00-11:30. It can be exhausting for me. She told me that Nicholas would do the same thing. Of course, she said "it was so cute how he would sneak down the hallway." I asked her if she thought it was cute at the time and she said no. She laughed and said that he gradually got over it. Well that's encouraging that she will stop doing this by the time she's 17 years old. I guess we got back home around 9:00 tonight. We are both exhausted, so you would think Katie would sleep real good because her nap was an overall 30 minutes at the most. Nope! We are going on 2 hours of "Katie get to bed and stay in bed." Every time Doug and I get on to her about not going to bed, she comes up with her 100 excuses as to why she can't go to bed. For instance, she has a booger on her finger, she just got up so she's not tired, she needs a tissue, she's not tucked in good enough, and my head's not covered up.

3 comments:

The Thorsrud Family said...

Man, I love the stories about Katie! I know you are frustrated though. But they are hilarious....only in time out twice....booger on her finger....haha! Maddie always goes through times when she doesn't want to go to bed. We are the mean parents that make her yell it out and eventually she goes back to bed. It's not too often it happens now. I think she knows we won't come rescue her, unless she is sick. Then she gets all the rescuing. She also doesn't open her bedroom door though...I suppose Katie prolly does huh? I don't know why Maddie hasn't figured that one out yet. At night and nap time we read Maddie a book and now we let her bring it to bed and read it for awhile. Then she falls asleep better. There aren't any toys in her room so that's boring. Nap time is starting to become a struggle every once in awhile. Especially since the kids share a room.

Laura said...

I laughed out loud about the booger! We haven't heard that one yet (knock on wood)! Well, Doug can tell you that we had our experiences with the not-staying-in-bed about two weeks ago. I think he heard me yelling at Alise over the phone. But for the last two weeks, we haven't had anymore problems. She'll wake up in the night and holler out, but as long as she knows we're there, she'll go back to sleep. Thank goodness!!

TheMasonBunch said...

I'm so glad you got a laugh about my experiences with parenthood. lol! Yeah, Katie can open her door and turn on the light. We've tried the calming down before bedtime & we always read a story in bed. She still won't sleep. I've even resorted to telling long fairy tells, which she really liked and even participated.