Saturday, June 2, 2007

Birthday Princess Castle Cake



If Katie had several little girls coming to her party, we would have to get this cake. Wow!!! Our local Publix makes this cake. It serves between 25-30 people. Guess how much it cost? $55.99! What a cake! Don't be surprised if we have this cake for Katie's party. I say this because Doug likes it and he thinks we should get it. SHOCK! I have to remember this is his little girl's party we're talking about.

Katie and I had a baby shower to go to today. A lady I worked with once upon a time is expecting her first child (little girl) July 3rd. We got her a few sleeper gowns, a cute monkey sleeper, and receiving blankets. I made the biggest mistake by taking Katie with me. I thought it would be fun for her to attend a party, you know cake, gifts & hanging with the girls. I was really hoping there would be other little girls. Nope! I was wrong and I regretted it. She was so good for the first 10 minutes, but as soon as she warmed up to everyone the mischievous Katie came out and my little angel disappeared for an hour and 30 minutes. The shower was scheduled to last for two hours and as slow as Jill was opening up presents, I'm sure it lasted a whole lot longer than 2 hours. Needless to say, after an hour and a half during this shower I had ENOUGH! Katie pulling tissue out of Jill's gifts, throwing her toys in the fireplace, hiding behind this wooden screen that was making a couple of the women nervous that it might fall, running around the room like she was high on sugar, and not minding me at all because she knew we were among other company. I was so embarrassed! I lend over and told a couple of people I knew that this would never happen again. I was so uncomfortable and felt out of place. Why is it that children love to embarrass their parents? I had planned to go to WalMart after the shower, but I was so upset and mad at Kaitlyn that I went straight home. I know she's going through her trouble twos and I try to understand, but I feel like such a failure as a Mother at times. I'm sure some of the women at the shower understood, but I could just feel the eyes burning a hole in my back when Katie was misbehaving. I took her out of the room a couple of times and really got on to her. I guess the scolding straightened her up for maybe 5-10 minutes and she would be right back at it. Ugh!!! What am I going to do with her? I know she's been sick with her cold, but my patience have really been wearing thin with her. Laura, I even tried the wooden spoon. She just looked at me and then asked for the spoon. Ugh!!!!!!!!! I've gotten away from the knotty chair (time out), so I think we will have to go back to "The Chair."

I did get to go to WalMart, without Katie. I needed some space and calm myself down, so it was a good time out for me. Doug stayed home while Katie was in bed sleeping. I got a few more things for the birthday party. I'm beginning to get excited. Doug and I talked about the menu tonight for the big day. He wants ribs, cowboy baked beans and I think potato salad would be good. I suggested a cold cut tray with finger foods, but Doug doesn't like sandwiches. I don't think Doug wants hamburgers because last year he didn't cook them long enough and they were still a little pink. Bless his heart, he got ragged about it. He must be scarred.

We got a visit from Nicholas tonight. He was on his way home from a wedding and wanted to come by and see us for a little bit. We always enjoy visits from the nieces and nephews. Katie loves the visits. They are nothing but big playmates for her and she loves the attention. He had her so stirred up - running up and down the hall. We got her a little bit on video. Nick was on me about not video taping her when she gets so excited. I told him that as soon as I pull out the camera or video camera, when she acts so silly, she straightens up and doesn't talk. Nick didn't believe me, so I had to show him. Well, now he believes me. As soon as she saw the camera, she stopped acting goofy and stopped talking.

Here's a little tidbit. I just watched a clip from our local news and "The Black Pearl" ship from "Pirates of the Caribbean," was actually built in Bayou La Batre, Alabama.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I love the cake! I agree with Doug...you should get it. 25-30 people? Aren't you planning on having about that many? Your family alone is that many, isn't it?

I couldn't help but laugh out loud at the fiasco you had yesterday!! It was like deja vu and the Target episode with Alise all over again!! Alise was standing beside me when I was reading your blog and laughing. She said, "Mommie laugh?" Sowwy! I just couldn't help myself!

TheMasonBunch said...

Laura - Yeah, you and Doug are right. We are expecting around 20-22 people at the party.